Due to retirement, the Messenger Public Library has an opportunity in our beautiful facility for the next Head of Adult Services. We are a "Goldilocks" Library - not too big, not too small, and just the right size to spread your wings and put a personal stamp on the position.
You will report to a brand new to MPL (but highly seasoned Director) and work collaboratively with the Management Team to direct services and resources to our patrons. Your soft skills are a priority - can you work well with others, be a leader with change management, have a gracious and friendly manner with patrons welcoming them to "their Library?"
The next Adult Services Manager will need marketing skills, high technology proficiency, be comfortable leading the Library into the realm of content creation, virtual services, digital resources (web and makerspace upgrades in the coming years) yet still be able to have a great conversation about murder mysteries and a love of collections.
The hard truth - Starting any position in a Library right now can be difficult as we navigate a pandemic and there are risks are involved while serving the public. A calm, collected and capable mindset is needed to serve as we make strategic decisions going forward all the while bringing your team together.
The delightful truth - MPL is a lovely, well maintained and decently funded facility. We sit right by the Fox River, close enough for a lunch stroll! The Library's proximity is very near I-88 and sits in Kane County. Our patron base is varied, and the community respects and values the staff, and we provide a pleasant working environment. The Board supports the staff members and Director to use their talents with a service mindset.
The nuts and bolts:
The Messenger Public Library of North Aurora is seeking a knowledgeable librarian to lead our Adult Services Department on behalf of a community that appreciates the programming, services, and unique materials the library has to offer. Please see our webpage for hours, location and more details.
The Head of Adult Services is a full-time exempt (37.5 hours) professional position responsible for the coordination and implementation of the library's public services, programs, online digital content, and collection development for adult materials; social media and marketing. This position is responsible for the management of the Adult Services Department (currently a three-person team). A sampling of essential functions and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Provides friendly, courteous, and accurate service to all users.
- Supervises the creation, implementation, and marketing of all services, resources, and programming and community outreach for the Adult age population of the Village of North Aurora.
- Directly supervises all department staff, including yearly performance evaluations, and carries out responsibilities in accordance with the library's policies and applicable laws.
- Provides information service at the public service desks.
- Coordinates the collection development and budget allocation of all adult material and supervises the collection development activities of staff.
- Assists in developing library policies, goals, and objectives in coordination with the Library Director and other library managers.
- Keeps updated on library trends, and other technological and social trends that may impact the library service.
- Writes and manages grants when the opportunity and funding are available.
- Meet and engage with our patrons both in the building and throughout the community.
In addition to these responsibilities, the candidate should also have:
- A Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited college or university.
- At least 3 years of library experience, including working at a public service desk, preferable in a public library setting.
- At least 1 year of project management experience.
- At least 1 year of supervisory experience.
This position requires working days, nights, and weekends as needed.
Must possess a valid Illinois Driver's license and be able to demonstrate personal vehicle is insured in compliance with Illinois law.
Why work for us?
- Additional benefits beyond the paycheck will include a pleasant working environment and the ability to make a difference in the community.
- A flexible Director that will work with your needs as an individual while following policies that keep the workplace running efficiently.
- We participate in IMRF pension plan, so you can plan for your future.
- Your premium for health insurance is 100% paid, and the policy is provided by AETNA through a group purchase by Limricc. You may pay the premium for additional spouse or family members.
- A $30,000 employer paid life insurance policy, you may purchase additional coverage for reasonable rates.
- Additional savings plans are available.
The Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome and celebrate our differences. Candidates with strong work ethics, great attitudes and a service mindset are encouraged to apply.
Open until filled with the right candidate; details submitted before 2/1 may receive priority in consideration as we proceed in the hiring process.
Please submit a copy of your resume, a cover letter, any publicity highlights or other promotional materials via e-mail. References and employment verifications will be required pending an offer.
Documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org