ANNOUNCEMENT OF PROFESSIONAL OPENING
POSITION: University Archivist, full-time, twelve month, Academic Resource Professional (non-tenure-track) faculty appointment in a collective bargaining unit. Position reports to the Associate Dean of Libraries.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision benefits, 24 days vacation and participation in the Illinois State Universities Retirement System.
- Coordinates functions and staff in a broad range of activities related to the accessioning, processing, digitization, preservation, and public services for university archives collections in analog, digitized, and born-digital forms.
- Manages records and metadata and serves as metadata expert for university archives and other library collections across numerous platforms, including (Ex Libris) Alma library services platform, CONTENTdm, Bepress Digital Commons, and NEIU contributions to Electronic Documents of Illinois (State Library).
- Plans and envisions the implementation of expanded digital preservation methods and the growth of archival collections beyond university archives to encompass collections of community interest, following the examples set by the Luis V. Gutiérrez Congressional Archive and the Chicago Japanese-American Archives.
- Supervises one University Archives Library Specialist, keeping them up-to-date on best practices and providing training on use of archival software. May, potentially, supervise project-based student employees.
- Performs subject librarian responsibilities, including reference, outreach, library instruction, and collection development, in one or more assigned subject areas.
- Provides service to the Libraries and University through active participation on committees or working groups and participation in meetings.
- ALA accredited MLS degree.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current standards, best practices and emerging trends in archives
- A high level of computer competency
- Effective oral and written communication skills and the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- College or University Archives experience
- Supervisory experience
CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY: Northeastern Illinois University is a public, comprehensive, multicultural university located on the north side of Chicago. It has an enrollment of approximately 7,000 students in undergraduate and graduate programs. The Library maintains a collection of over 700,000 volumes and subscriptions to nearly 120 online databases. More information is available at www.neiu.edu/neiu-libraries.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Send a letter of application, resume, and the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper applications will not be accepted. Review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Northeastern Illinois University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran.
Send a letter of application, resume, and the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three references via email to email@example.com. Paper applications will not be accepted.