The Ela Area Public Library District, located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in the community of Lake Zurich, seeks a collaborative librarian to join our team. The librarian in this position develops and presents programs related to technology and the arts in the Children's Department as well as in the library's makerspace, Forge. Please note that during the time of COVID-19, our programs have shifted to different formats: virtual live and recorded sessions and "take home" kits.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
- Performs reference and readers' advisory at the Children's Reference Desk
- Develops and presents programs for children and families in a variety of formats
- Manages the Curiosity Kit collection and participates in other collection development work
- Prepares crafts/activities for the activity table
- Stays up-to-date on technology trends and opportunities related to children's services in public libraries and shares these with library staff
- Creates social media content related to children's services
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science with coursework in children's services
- Demonstrated experience or interest in arts and crafts, maker projects, or other fun technology for children
- Experience working with children, parents, and caregivers
- Ability to work easily and naturally as a member of a close-knit team
- Reliable, with excellent time management skills
- Ability to work independently at a professional level, adapting to changing safety protocols and schedules
- Ability to experiment with new programming formats
- Avid reader of children's literature
- Comfort working with children from diverse backgrounds and of diverse abilities
- A sense of curiosity and openness
- Ability to perform simple troubleshooting and use Apple & Microsoft products including computers and iPads
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, familiarity using an ILS, and ability to learn other software and cloud-based applications as related to the position
- Ability to approach and defuse difficult patron situations
- Spanish, Polish, Russian, or Chinese language ability a plus
If you are interested in joining the Ela Area Public Library District and meet the job requirements described above, please email your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Department at email@example.com.
* The Ela Area Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin.