The Ela Area Public Library District, located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in the community of Lake Zurich, seeks a collaborative, kind, and dedicated librarian who enjoys working with children and their families. In particular, the Arts and Technology Librarian will develop and present programs focused on making, creating, and experimenting in the Children's Department as well as in the Library's makerspace, Forge.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
- Performs reference and readers' advisory at the Children's Reference Desk
- Develops and presents programs for children and families, especially those related to science, technology, and the arts
- Manages the STEM kits collection and participates in other collection development work
- Prepares crafts/activities for the activity table
- Stays up-to-date on technology trends and opportunities related to children's services in public libraries and shares these with library staff
- Creates social media content related to children's services
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science with coursework in children's services
- Demonstrated experience or interest in maker or other technologies
- Experience working with children, parents, and caregivers
- Ability to work easily and naturally as a member of a close-knit team
- Reliable, with excellent time management skills
- Ability to work independently at a professional level
- Avid reader of children's literature
- A sense of curiosity
- Ability to perform simple troubleshooting and use Apple & Microsoft products including computers and iPads
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, familiarity using an ILS, and ability to learn other software and cloud-based applications as related to the position
- Ability to approach and defuse difficult patron situations
- Spanish, Polish, or Chinese language ability a plus
If you are interested in joining the Ela Area Public Library District and meet the job requirements described above, please email your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Ela Area Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin.