Huntley Area Public Library District
Position: Youth Services Assistant
Number of hours per week: Part-time, 24/week
Reports to: Head of Youth Services and Head of Public Services
Description: Provides a wide range of traditional and digital reference and readers' advisory services to patrons of all ages and assists with programs and services for children and families.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides reference, readers' advisory, and information services at the Youth Services Information Desk.
- Handles registration for library and outside programs.
- Plans and presents programs and services for children, including story times, craft programs, reading programs, and off-site invitations as a member of the youth services team.
- Assists with clerical projects as needed.
- Participates in professional training activities related to job responsibilities.
- May supervise volunteers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of child development combined with age appropriate readers' advisory services.
- Ability to make strong connections with young children and their grownups.
- Ability to create well-planned programs and activities for youth.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work and communicate orally and in writing, in an effective manner, with the public and staff. Capacity to communicate effectively on the telephone. Ability to speak effectively in front of groups.
- Ability to type, to read written materials, to maintain files, to operate computers and other library machines and equipment.
- Ability to return and retrieve books and other library materials to shelves or other designated places.
- In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represent the physical and environmental demands of this position: this position requires approximately equal amounts of time spent standing, walking, and sitting. Lifting, pushing/pulling, and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds is sometimes required. Climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, twisting, and bending are sometimes required. Repetitive movements of the hands and arms are sometimes required. Audio, visual, and verbal functions are essential to performing this position.
Requires some college or three years of related experience working with children, plus knowledge of children's literature. Coursework in education, children's literature, child development, or library science preferred. Some public service experience is highly desirable. Must be able to work some weekdays, evenings, weekends, and school holidays. A valid driver's license and access to a vehicle are required.
Youth Services Desk Duties 35%
Programming Duties 50%
Miscellaneous and Special Assignments 15%
Submit application, http://www.huntleylibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/employment-application.pdf with cover letter, resume and three references to:
Debbie Luetscher, Head of Youth Services
Huntley Area Public Library
11000 Ruth Rd.
Huntley, IL 60142