The Saturday Librarian works every Saturday from open to close to provide responsive and friendly customer service while covering the Adult or Youth Services desk, assisting patrons with reference and readers' advisory, check out, library accounts, and instructing patrons on the use of equipment, software, and services. The Saturday Librarian typically works 6-7 hours per week with occasional opportunities for additional hours in this part-time, non-exempt position. The Saturday Librarian reports to the Library Director. View a full job description here.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Fulfills all opening and closing procedures
- Works circulation desk and all related duties, including troubleshooting minor computer and printer problems for patrons and shelving materials in the absence of pages
- Answers directional, general reference, and readers' advisory questions from adult and youth patrons
- Assists patrons in the use of library-provided mobile apps
- Other duties as assigned
- Education: Completion of some college or university courses
- Experience: At least 1-3 years' work experience, preferably in a library
- Skills: Responsive to text and email. Microsoft Office, email, and familiarity with web-based searching and applications are required. Comfort with uncertainty. Understanding of library's role in the community. Able to work with the public. Able to pass background checks including credit check. Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of teamwork in a small library. Able to multitask.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee must regularly retrieve from and replace books on high and low shelves. The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds and/or push carts up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Typing on a computer keyboard and interacting with computer and touch screens are required.
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.