JOB TITLE: Maintenance Specialist
STATUS: Non-Exempt, Part Time
SHIFT: 19 hours per week, Sunday-Saturday hours with regular rotation. Must be able to work evenings and weekends depending on library needs.
SALARY/WAGES: $10.50 per hour
The Maintenance Specialist contributes to the effective operations of the library by performing daily janitorial duties including cleaning and sanitizing public and staff areas, garbage and recycling removal, restocking supplies, and contributing to the regular care, cleaning, and upkeep of the library's building, equipment, and grounds. The Maintenance Specialist also arranges furniture in meeting rooms and other spaces as needed for public or private programs. Reports to the Maintenance Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain a clean, safe, and attractive physical space for patrons and a safe work environment for staff, including the safe storage and proper care of maintenance and janitorial equipment
- Clean the building on a regular schedule as assigned by the Maintenance Manager. This may include cleaning floors, surfaces, and restrooms; emptying trash and recycling cans; buffing floors; etc.
- Replace lightbulbs, paper goods, and other items as needed
- Perform various maintenance tasks including painting, hanging pictures, and minor repairs to library equipment, furniture, or facilities
- Shovel and/or salt walkways and parking lots outside the building whenever necessary (less than 2" of snow)
- Monitor the book drop for overflow of materials and alert Access Services to any overflow for their immediate attention
- Maintain garden areas not covered by contractual landscaping services as directed by the Maintenance Manager. Trim trees and shrubs, plant annual or perennial flowerbeds, weed, remove fallen leaves, etc.
- Store and maintain janitorial supplies, keep an inventory and purchase additional supplies as needed
- Report any maintenance issues or needed repairs to the Maintenance Manager
- Prepare routine records on cleaning and maintenance
- Provide friendly, courteous, and accurate service to all library users
- Move furniture, equipment, and supplies as needed for event setup and teardown
- Assist the Maintenance Manager in the creation of the annual Maintenance budget
- Assist in the creation of procedures manuals and trouble-shooting guides for Maintenance activities and tools
- Perform other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred
- A minimum of one year of janitorial or maintenance experience preferred
- Knowledge of safe working practices
- Frequently operate maintenance equipment such as, but not limited to, hand tools, power tools, motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand powered augers, user-moved aids, snow and ice removal equipment, ladders, landscaping equipment, safety equipment, etc.
- Safely work with chemicals, paint, and general cleaning supplies
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing, including through email
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, patrons, user groups, community organizations, volunteer groups and to serve the public courteously
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Duties are performed in both an indoor and outdoor setting, with frequent lifting, stooping, and bending. Varying and potentially extreme weather conditions may occur
- The noise environment is usually quiet to moderate, but may occasionally be loud.
- This position will have frequent contact with others
- Must be able to frequently physically transport up to 75 pounds variable distances
- Must possess physical mobility involving hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls such as a computer keyboard, mouse, or other device; perform repetitive motion using hands, wrists, and arms.
- Must possess ability to stand, walk, bend, squat, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb stairs or ladder, and to push, pull and reach above shoulders
- Must possess mobility and flexibility to work in small spaces or climb a ladder to perform maintenance repairs
- Must be able to comprehend and respond to customers and employees
- Must be able to create records with accuracy and attention to detail
- General office equipment including phones, walkie-talkies, and personal computers
- Maintenance equipment including hand tools, power tools, motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand powered augers, user-moved aids, snow and ice removal equipment, ladders, landscaping equipment, safety equipment, measuring devices, etc.
- Chemicals, paint, and general cleaning supplies
STATEMENT OF OTHER DUTIES DISCLAIMER:
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job. Job functions are not necessarily listed in priority order.
The DeKalb Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. There shall be no discrimination or favoritism in employment, recruitment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, or any other condition of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, ethnic origin, age, sex, gender, marital status, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, national origin, or any other prohibited class.