Are you comfortable with basic building repairs, maintenance, and landscaping? Are you handy, organized, and independent? Are you looking for a flexible position that allows you to work on wide variety of tasks to help maintain one of Sycamore's historic buildings? If so, add your skills to the dynamic team at Sycamore Public Library!
Under direction of the Office Manager, the Maintenance Technician will assist with overall maintenance, repair, landscaping, snow removal, and small construction projects within the Sycamore Public Library and its grounds.
• Performs duties that keep building, grounds, and walkways clean, safe, and orderly
• Uses common hand tools, power saws and drills, snow removal equipment, tape measures, calculators, computers, and telephones to complete assigned job tasks
• Secures supplies for and performs minor repairs on building, furniture, and grounds
• Assists departments with moving furniture and other heavy items
• Monitors all mechanical equipment in the building and notifies the Office Manager and/or Executive Director of any problems or abnormalities
• Assess building and ground issues and recommend solutions
• Assists outside vendors and contractors with performing testing procedures, cleaning, and maintaining mechanical and electrical equipment, as directed
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Mechanical aptitude and basic knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, and electrical repair
• Able to work independently and adjust work priorities, as needed • Able to lift, push, pull, and carry objects of up to 80 lbs.
• Able to stand, climb, and perform work on a two-story ladder
• Able to work in extreme outdoor weather conditions
• Able to handle emergency situations in a calm, capable manner
• Able to work and communicate effectively with library staff and patrons
• Able to see objects and numbers in detail and close-up
• Able to hear, comprehend, and respond to others verbally and in writing
• Able to tolerate high noise levels, fumes, and cleaning chemicals
• Able to perform repetitive hand motions for extended periods of time
• Able to drive a car and hold a valid Illinois driver's license
• Previous experience working with building supply vendors and contractors a plus
Hours: 10-12 per week with possibility of extra hours, as needed; flexible schedule
Pay: $15.25 per hour
To apply: Visit the library web site at www.sycamorelibrary.org and complete the online application, then attach your cover letter and resume.
Status: Open until filled