Do you want real work experience before graduating? Come join our award-winning library to participate in a designed learning experience that will give your library career a jump-start. We're looking for an intern between June and August 2018 (12 weeks/10 hours per week). During this internship you will work with an assigned mentor in our Youth Services Department. Your work will focus on working with Skokie's kids and their grownups. Your internship will include:
- Assisting patrons with informational and readers advisory questions at the public desk
- Assist with storytime and program planning and implementation
- Assist with Youth Services projects
You will also receive the following opportunities:
- Learn more about using library resources and online tools
- Gain a broad orientation to public library operations.
Minimum Qualifications: (education, experience, and certifications)
- Current MLS or MLIS student
- Knowledge of children's literature
- Understanding of child development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Broad cultural competency knowledge and skills, and ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse workforce and community
- Willingness to take direction and demonstrate flexibility
- Experience in use of computers, electronic resources, and the intranet as it relates to libraries
- Experience in a customer service environment
- Reasonable accommodations to these requirements will be made as needed.
- Work includes prolonged sitting, standing, stooping, bending, lifting/moving materials, getting down on the floor, as well as frequent computer use.
- Manual dexterity, clear speech, hearing acuity, and correctable vision are also required.
- Ability to navigate the building.
- Noise level is generally moderate.
- Scheduling may require availability during any library operating hours, including weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
We seek those who share our passion for serving the people of Skokie. We strive to reflect our community through our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Skokie is known for its diversity and is conveniently accessible from Chicago and surrounding neighborhoods. The Edens Expressway (I-94) spans Skokie's western edge, while Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) and PACE suburban bus lines and the CTA's Skokie Swift Yellow rail line offer numerous options for public transportation.
Please provide a cover letter when applying