RAILS Online Roundtables are hour-long forums hosted on a specific topic. Online roundtables emphasize peer-to-peer learning and the sharing of best practices in libraries. These forums are held via Zoom online meeting software.
The forum will feature a brief presentation by one or more presenters followed by an online chat discussion. Any library staff from any Illinois library is encouraged to attend and participate. All online roundtables are archived for later viewing.
Propose a topic
Anyone can propose a topic for a future online roundtable. The topic must be of interest to a wide variety of library types and library staff.
To prepare for a RAILS online roundtable, RAILS staff will:
- Set up the event in L2 and Zoom
- Coordinate promotion of the event
- Set up a Zoom practice session
- Troubleshoot and act as host on the day of the live event
- Archive the recorded event
Presenters will be expected to:
- Create a short verbal presentation (10-15 minutes)
- Develop a short slideshow (5-7 slides)
- Participate in a 10 minute Zoom practice session
- Assist in leading a 30 minute online chat discussion
If you're interested in proposing a topic for an upcoming online roundtable, please contact RAILS Member Engagement Manager Dan Bostrom, 630.734.5152.
Upcoming online roundtables
Archived online roundtables
All online roundtables are archived on the RAILS YouTube page. Recorded versions are typically posted 24-48 hours after the live version has concluded.
- Hosting an Online Author Visit - Recorded on Friday, April 24, 2020
- Facebook Live & Libraries - Recorded on Wednesday, April 15, 2020
- School Library Tech Tips - Recorded on Wednesday, April 8, 2020
- Tips for Hosting Online Meetings - Recorded Friday, March 27, 2020
- Library Data for Advocacy - Recorded Tuesday, March 3, 2020
- Managing the Marketing Process - Recorded Tuesday, January 21, 2020
- RAILS/IACRL My Library Is... Online Roundtable - Recorded Tuesday, November 5, 2019
- Census 2020 Services & Resources - Recorded Thursday, August 15, 2019
- Census 2020 Programming - Recorded Wednesday, July 31, 2019
- 20s and 30s Programming - Recorded Wednesday, May 15, 2019
- Programming and Collections for Those with Dementia/Alzheimer's - Recorded Friday, April 5, 2019