Whether you work at a library district or municipal library, preparing the tax levy in Illinois can be very difficult, and is often further complicated by tax caps. In this seminar, Meristem Advisors will give you simplified strategies for estimating the levy and allocating it across funds. We will relate the levy to the budget, and provide some guidance for preparing a working budget consistent with the levy.
- How the tax cap formula works and how to make a close approximation of your next available levy
- The role of TIFs and new property
- Strategies for allocating the levy across funds
- Interplay between appropriations, the budget and the levy
- Maintaining adequate cash balances
- The importance of considering losses in collection
- The levy and budget cycle and key deadlines
Jamie Rachlin is the founder and President of Meristem Advisors and was previously a public finance banker working with Illinois libraries on their debt and budgeting needs for 25 years. Meristem was founded on the principle that clients deserve to have deeper conversations with their advisors than afforded by larger companies. Meristem provides traditional bond financing services, but also is available on a consulting basis for financial planning, capital planning, budgeting and revenue forecasting. Previously, Jamie was a Managing Director at RBC Capital Markets and BMO Capital Markets GKST. Jamie holds an M.B.A. in Finance from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, an M.S.E. in Civil Engineering from Princeton University and an A.B. in Computer Science from Brown University.