As per the Illinois State Library (ISL), each fiscal year, library staff will submit delivery volume counts as requested by the library systems. The Illinois State Library's Delivery Committee, comprised of representatives from IHLS and RAILS systems and ISL staff, designates four weeks for delivery physical hand counts. Prior to each count period, we send information to each library through our delivery route mailing lists and RAILS E-News.
Dates for the FY2020 delivery fine counts are:
- Monday, August 19 - Friday, August 23, 2019
- Monday, November 18 - Friday, November 22, 2019
- Monday, February 24 - Friday, February 28, 2020
- Monday, May 18 - Friday, May 22, 2020
RAILS Member Libraries that Receive Delivery via RAILS or Contracted Vendor Must Physically Hand Count Outgoing Delivery Items During the Fine Count Periods
- Outgoing delivery items are those items that are being delivered from your library to another location and include items from your collection that are being sent to fill interlibrary loan requests, as well as items you are returning to other libraries.
- Fine counts begin on a Monday. Please physically hand count all of the items in each of your delivery containers and complete the online Count Form each day of the Fine Count period. Hand count outgoing items using this same procedure through the following Friday.
- Each Fine Count period, a number of libraries will be randomly selected to have an audit of their bins performed for the entire count week to confirm the accuracy of the fine count. No additional work will be required of libraries selected for audit; however, libraries will be contacted in the case of a discrepancy between the manual audit count and the submitted count.
Thank you in advance for participating in this itemized count. Your assistance will help us continue to offer high-quality delivery service and to provide accurate delivery statistics to the Illinois State Library.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Fine Count Data
Statistics from past fine count periods are available to download in Excel format below.