The 2020 Census is rapidly approaching and it will be very important for libraries to help maximize participation throughout Illinois. Our representation in Congress, as well as federal funding, including LSTA funding that supports library system delivery, shared catalogs, and per capita grants, depend on an accurate census count.
This page will help alert libraries to the latest census developments. RAILS will add additional resources as they become available, including information about upcoming training for libraries.
Libraries are invited to share their success stories promoting the census and any other comments below.
Census 2020 Resources
- RAILS Member Update (January 17, 2019) - Census discussion includes presentation from Mary Riseling, Complete Count Commission Program Administrator, and Joe Natale, the Illinois State Library's representative with the Complete Count Commission.
- Illinois Complete Count Commission - Recommends strategies to avoid an undercount of the state's residents.
- Interim Report to the General Assembly (November 2018)
- Illinois Library Association, Census 2020 - ILA's list of census resources.
- American Library Association, 2020 Census - Information about the census' impact on libraries, and advocacy resources.
- United States Census Bureau, 2020 Census - Landing page for information about the decennial census.
Forefront's Illinois Count Me In 2020 Funders' Collaborative, a collaborative of Illinois foundations created to support census efforts in hard-to-count communities across the state, is offering a new grant to help Illinois community-based organizations fund their Census 2020 outreach efforts.
Applications will be accepted February 1-28. An informational webinar, with time allotted for questions, will be held at 10:00am on February 1. To participate in the webinar, email Yoselyn Ovalle. The webinar session will be recorded and available on Forefront's website at a later date.