The 2020 Census is rapidly approaching and it will be very important for libraries to help maximize participation throughout Illinois. Our representation in Congress, as well as federal funding, including LSTA funding that supports library system delivery, shared catalogs, and per capita grants, depend on an accurate census count.
This page will help alert libraries to the latest census developments. RAILS will add additional resources as they become available, including information about upcoming training for libraries.
Libraries are invited to share their success stories promoting the census and any other comments below.
Census 2020 Resources
- Census 2020 Email List - RAILS and IHLS library employees may subscribe and browse the discussion list archives from our Email Lists page. Login required to subscribe to the list or view message archives.
- RAILS Member Update (January 17, 2019) - Census discussion includes presentation from Mary Riseling, Complete Count Commission Program Administrator, and Joe Natale, the Illinois State Library's representative with the Complete Count Commission.
- Illinois Complete Count Commission - Recommends strategies to avoid an undercount of the state's residents.
- Interim Report to the General Assembly (November 2018)
- Illinois Library Association, Census 2020 - ILA's list of census resources.
- American Library Association, 2020 Census - Information about the census' impact on libraries, and advocacy resources.
- United States Census Bureau, 2020 Census - Landing page for information about the decennial census.
- Matrix for Census Programming - Developed by the Vernon Area Public Library this template is for libraries to help get started on matching up audiences and programs.
Census 2020 Event
"Libraries and the 2020 Census" Learn how to get your library involved with the 2020 Census. This event was held on July 19, 2019. Speakers included:
- Denise Raleigh, Division Chief of Public Relations & Communications at Gail Borden Public Library
- Anita Banerji, Director of Democracy Initiative, Forefront
- Representative Theresa Mah, Illinois General Assembly, 2nd District
Recording of Event: https://www.railslibraries.info/events/166940
RAILS Online Roundtables on Census 2020
This summer, RAILS offered two Online Roundtables to help libraries learn more about the Census 2020. Recorded versions of both of those events are available below: