Ann Anderson (left) and Stacy Stoldt from the Chicago Botanic Garden's Lenhardt Library with items from the Beatrix Potter exhibition. The exhibition is open through Sunday, February 7, 2016. Read more.
Congratulations to the RAILS member libraries named 2015 Star Libraries by Library Journal:
- Algonquin Area Public Library District
- Arlington Heights Memorial Library
- Cook Memorial Public Library District (Libertyville)
- Cordova District Library
- Ela Area Public Library District (Lake Zurich)
- Elk Grove Village Public Library
- Elmhurst Public Library
- Fountaindale Public Library District (Bolingbrook)
- Glenview Public Library
- Hodgkins Public Library District
- Lake Forest Library
- Mount Prospect Public Library
- Naperville Public Library
- Niles Public Library District
- Northbrook Public Library
- Oak Park Public Library
- Schaumburg Township District Library
- Skokie Public Library
See Library Journal for more information.
At its October 30, 2015 meeting, the RAILS Board:
- Received an update on the work of the Membership Standards Committee from Dee Brennan, Kathy Parker, and Veronda Pitchford.
- Approved changes to the RAILS bylaws that were required by Illinois statute and requested by the Illinois State Library.
- Passed a resolution in agreement with the changes being made to the LIMRiCC intergovernmental agreement. This includes moving from a fully insured plan to a self-insured plan.
- Approved adding a Health Savings Account (HSA) plan as a fourth option for medical coverage.
- Presented a brief synopsis of the Local Records Act as the RAILS Board development topic.
The Illinois State Library reported there is still no additional information on the Illinois budget.
The State Library also reported that only 51% of public libraries have filled out the one-page capital needs assessment survey. All public libraries are encouraged to complete the brief survey even if no capital improvements are needed at this time to convey to the General Assembly and the general public the need for capital improvements in our public libraries.
The November board meeting will be held at the RAILS Coal Valley service center and at designated videoconference locations on Friday, November 20, at 1 p.m.
There will also be a lunch at the RAILS Coal Valley service center prior to the Board meeting. All RAILS members in the area are invited to attend to learn more about RAILS, and have an opportunity to share their ideas, questions, etc. It will also be a great opportunity to network with each other and interact with RAILS Board and staff. The lunch will begin at 11:30 a.m. and members are invited to attend both the lunch and the RAILS Board meeting. See L2 for registration.
Thanks to all who attended the Better Together preconference at the State of Mind conference in Peoria!