House Appropriations Subcommittee Votes to Recommend Level Funding for FY2018
July 17, 2017
Since President Trump announced that he wanted to eliminate IMLS and federal funding for libraries in May, all of us have been communicating with our members of Congress about the value of libraries. Last week's Subcommittee vote shows that our elected officials are listening to us and recognizing libraries' importance in the communities they represent. We are grateful to the leaders of the Subcommittee, Chairman Tom Cole (R-OK-4) and Ranking Member Rosa DeLauro (D-CT-3), and all Subcommittee members, for their support.
We have not saved FY18 federal library funding yet. But the fact that federal library funding was not cut at this particular stage shows what can be accomplished when ALA members work together. The full House Appropriations Committee is expected to vote on the subcommittee bills as early as July 19.
In the meantime, stay informed and stay involved. Libraries and the millions of people we serve are in a better position today because of your advocacy.
Record-Setting Senate Support Needed to Save Federal Library Funding
May 2, 2017
It's imperative to act now to let your Senators know that libraries are important to your community. The President is proposing total elimination of the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). We must convince the majority of Senators to put their support for Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and Innovative Approaches to Libraries (IAL) in writing! Many Senators will only sign if their constituents ask them to.
Use ALA's Legislative Action Center today to contact both of your Senators and ask them to support federal funding for libraries by signing on to both the Reed/Collins LSTA and Reed/Grassley/Stabenow IAL "Dear Appropriator" letters. The deadline is May 19.
These links have more information:
- Letter from ALA President Julie Todaro: Fight for Senate Support of LSTA and IAL Funding is ON!
- ALA, District Dispatch: The Fight for Library Funding Is on in the U.S. Senate
- Add your name to the fight: Legislative Action Center
- Take Action for Libraries: Interactive Map of Federal Legislation Effecting Libraries
- Check if your Senator has signed: Senate Tracker
- Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)
- Innovative Approaches to Literacy Program