This position is responsible for operation of the Adult Services Department. Acts as the Librarian in Charge in the absence of the Director and Assistant Director. Deals responsibly with patron problems and emergencies to maintain a safe and pleasant work environment. Supervises up to four. This is a full-time non-exempt position reporting to the Executive Library Director.
Responsibilities and Duties Include:
- Provides friendly, courteous and accurate service to all users
- Understands and implements library procedures and policies, while safeguarding confidential and restricted information
- Develops and maintains reader's advisory service and programs
- Interviews, hires, trains, evaluates, coaches and schedules departmental employees.
- Instructs and assists patrons with use of electronic resources including the online catalog, library apps, and online databases.
- Plans, schedules, promotes, implements, and evaluates programs for adults
- Develops, maintains and promotes the adult services collection, databases and eResources.
- Serves as intermediary for patron concerns, interpreting library policy, and resolving conflicts that arise
- Designs and implements displays within the library
- Provides outreach to various community groups and organizations
- Acts as liaison to Regional Library System for adult services
- Recommends and implements goals and objectives for the department
- Collaborates program preparation with Youth Services department
- Works the public service desk as needed, performing all desk functions including answering reference questions, placing patron holds, and general circulation functions.
- Attends meeting and participates in continuing education opportunities related to adult services
- Prepares reports and maintains statistics of departmental activity
- Prepares departmental budget and monitors expenditures
- Provides Notary Public Service to the community.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Reference and Readers Advisory practices, procedures and technologies
- Knowledge and skill in use of online and electronic resources
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and similar software programs
- Ability to conduct patron interviews
- Ability to set priorities, make decisions, and exercise discretion with patrons and staff
- Ability to prioritize work, meet established deadlines, and attend to detail as appropriate
- Ability to handle multiple and simultaneous tasks
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with staff
- Ability to work effectively as a team
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally
- Accurate keyboarding skills
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and carry items up to twenty pounds
- ALA-accredited MLS required with one year library experience
- Three years experience in a public contact position
- Position requires day, evening and weekend hours
- Access to transportation