The Materials Services Assistant is a part-time position under the supervision of the Materials Services Manager. Responsibilities include working with the Materials Services Manager and other staff members to provide library services to the public by:
- Greeting visitors to the library and providing friendly customer service.
- Performing the full range of circulation procedures using an automated circulation system.
- Shelving and shifting library materials as assigned.
- Checking in/out all library materials and inspecting items for damage.
- Issuing user cards, maintaining files, and entering information into database.
- Emptying indoor and outdoor material returns.
- Opening and sorting incoming interlibrary loan items.
- Searching for and placing holds on library materials.
- Assessing and collecting fees for lost materials and processing payment (cash or credit).
- Answering the telephone to provide routine information or refer/transfer call to other departments.
- Providing ready reference service to users in person and over the phone.
- Implementing all library policies and procedures.
- Ability to work desired schedule:
- Thursday 1-9 pm
- Friday 1-5 pm
- 2 or more weekend shifts
- Familiarity with Microsoft products and basic computer operations.
- Ability to arrange alphabetically and numerically.
- Wide flexibility of movement is required including standing, bending, and lifting. Must be able to lift and carry at least 20 lbs. and push or pull carts loaded with library materials.
- Ability to show initiative, use good judgment in making decisions and exercise discretion with patrons and staff.
- High School Diploma is required.
- Cash handling experience is required.
Please email a resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.