REPORTS TO: Director of IT
- Manages the policies, strategic planning, and operations of the ULCC George N. Leighton Library's circulating collection of print materials, electronic resources, and library staff when applicable.
- Manages the policies, strategic planning, and operations of the ULCC Archives and oversees archives staff when applicable.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the library adjacent Business Information Center (BIC) and IT staff when applicable.
- Liaison with the ULCC Library Committee.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: MANAGING CIRCULATING COLLECTION
- Selects and orders print materials and periodicals according to the Collection Development Policy while keeping in mind the requests and interests of members.
- Processes and catalogues all purchased materials into the library's online Integrated Library System (ILS) Alexandria.
- Oversees circulation of print materials (check in/check out) and maintains control of the collection including notifying members of overdue materials and charging for replacement of damaged or lost items.
- Orders book processing, display, and organizational supplies.
- Maintains an inventory of all print materials and periodicals held by the library and appropriately weeds the collection every 2 years.
- Maintains the organization of the library space for member access by properly shelving all materials.
- Maintains the library Special Collection of autographed first editions, various rare books, and manuscripts.
- Manages and provides member instruction on all electronic resources such as Axis 360 and hoopla.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: MEMBER ENGAGEMENT
- Provides Readers Advisory service for members.
- Works with Member Events team to help identify books and authors who would be of interest to members for Authors Group events.
- Develops and implements Library events and coordinates with leaders of library related Member Activity Groups (Luncheon Book Discussion and Writers Group).
- Coordinates with Communications staff to write and submit monthly library event and Member Activity Groups promotional copy for Club Life, ULCC event calendar and social media.
- Coordinates with Catering and Banquets staff on reserving room, room set-up and menus for library events and library related Member Activity Groups.
- Posts library events and Member Activity Group meetings on Northstar application to manage event registration and attendance.
- Bills all library event and Member Activity Group meetings through Northstar application.
- Posts library events and library related Member Activity Groups on electronic board in library foyer.
- Writes occasional articles for Club publications based on research activities as requested by Director of Communications.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: STAFF LIASON FOR LIBRARY COMMITTEE
- Works with the Library Committee and Library Chairperson to develop annual goals, objectives, and policies for the library and archives.
- Notifies members of and attends all regular and special meetings of the Library Committee.
- In coordination with the Library Chair, creates and distributes Library Committee meeting packets, takes meeting minutes, and follows up on actions requested by the Committee.
- Keeps records of Committee attendance and contact information.
- Assists with writing the Library Committee year end review for the ULCC Annual Report.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: ADMINISTRATIVE
- Works within library yearly budget in cooperation with Club management.
- Helps develop a long-range plan for continuing improvement of services and preservation of the collections.
- Responsible for the timely submittal of bills from all library service vendors.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: SUPERVISION OF BUSINESS INFORMATION CENTER (BIC)
- Manage work of part-time IT Help Desk Assistant in coordination with Director of IT.
- Assists in the BIC when needed making room reservations and providing computer/printer instruction, and maintaining supplies.
EXAMPLE OF WORK: ULCC ARCHIVES
- Provides supervision of ULCC Archivist and Interns (when applicable).
- Coordinates with the ULCC Archivist to develop long-term goals for accessioning, processing, and preservation of ULCC records both paper and electronic.
- Works with the ULCC Archivist to raise awareness of ULCC archival materials through digital initiatives such as Chicago Collection Consortium, displays and programming.
- Acts as central manager of inactive ULCC corporate records prior to intake into the ULCC Archive.
- Pursues appropriate grant opportunities to achieve the preservation and access goals set for the Archives.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
Working within a busy and prestigious private city club and hospitality environment, our candidate needs to demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge of the principles, theories, objectives, and practices of library management.
- Commitment to excellence in customer service
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work independently and efficiently organize work
- Ability to prepare administrative reports in a clear, logical manner and keep accurate records
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with Club members, guests, and multiple internal departments.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise, and evaluate the work of employees and volunteers in diversified library activities
- Ability to initiate, organize, and follow through on programs, services, and projects
- Solid knowledge of current trends and developments in the library profession
- Thorough knowledge of library resources: print, non-print, and electronic
- Knowledge of integrated library systems
Education: Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) preferred. Current MLIS students will be considered.
Experience: Three years public or academic library experience or equivalent preferred.