Peoria Public Library is accepting applications for a Full-Time Reference Assistant, with Teen Programming experience and enthusiasm, who can create and present programs that reflect the needs and identities of all teens in the Lincoln Branch community and build relationships with and provide outreach programming in partnership with community organizations and school library managers.
Provides excellent customer service by responding to patron reference and reader's advisory requests; assists with collection maintenance; performs other duties as assigned. Reports to the Manager of Lincoln Branch.
(Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Staffs the Information Desk; provides reference and readers advisory service to customers in person, online or over the phone, consistently providing high level customer service;
- Helps customers successfully use the library;
- Provides formal and informal instruction regarding the use of the library, materials, equipment and databases to customers and staff;
- Assists in collection maintenance under supervision from the supervisor by processing new materials, weeding, mending or shelving, etc.;
- Performs circulation duties, checks library materials in; issues library cards; collects fines, etc.; may empty book drops during regular library hours;
- Processes holds; places holds; finds and/or receives holds; notifies customers when holds are available for pick-up;
- Submits interlibrary loan requests;
- Books study rooms/meeting rooms for walk-ins:
- Assists in developing and presenting programs such as Summer Reading, story hours, tours and class visits;
- Assists with day-to-day department duties such as shelving, weeding, and mounting displays;
- Prepares content for library newsletters or brochures; develops bibliographies and finding aides as assigned;
- Performs outreach and represents the library in the community and at appropriate professional organizations; ensures that community groups are kept informed of library programs and services; may assist in developing outreach materials;
- May be assigned to maintain one of the library's file systems or information such as the vertical files, question files, visitor files, program files, collection shelf list, local history scrapbooks, etc.;
- May maintain one of the library's collections such as the CD collection, genealogy materials, magazines, etc.;
- May assist with the maintenance of library materials and item record codes;
- Assists customers and staff with basic troubleshooting for library computers;
- Participates in opening and closing procedures, including starting up computers, completing pick lists and preparing deliveries at opening; powering down computers, checking bathrooms and setting alarms at closing;
- Prepares daily statistical reports;
- May be required to work in multiple locations and on any of the 7 days of the workweek (Sunday – Saturday);
- Attends meetings and participates in committees and organizations that further the library's mission and goals; and
- Keeps abreast of library developments by attending workshops, webinars, and educational programs and reading periodicals and specialized literature; attends staff meetings.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Peoria Public Library's policies and procedures;
- Ability to act as a representative of Peoria Public Library to the public;
- General knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures for public library service and the ability to interpret them to the staff and the public;
- Knowledge of reference services, practices and procedures in specialty area (adult or children's);
- Ability to establish priorities and organize workload;
- Ability to maintain a pleasant and productive working atmosphere;
- Ability to keep all relevant parties informed of all major issues and to recommend changes as appropriate;
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse individuals (customers and staff) in order to accomplish library and department goals and objectives;
- Ability to effectively communicate and present information to others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other professionals;
- Knowledge of electronic resources, including the Internet and database information retrieval;
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, and office machines; and
- Ability to obtain a valid IL driver's license.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree;
- Previous library experience preferred.
- OR equivalent combination of technical training, education or experience.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Work requires light physical effort in the handling of moderately light materials in non-strenuous work positions up to 40 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, libraries, classrooms or meeting and training rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire and building safety regulations and traffic signals when driving.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
FULL-TIME REFERENCE ASSISTANT
Currently assigned to Lincoln Branch
To apply, please submit your Cover Letter, Resume and Application Form
in person or via email to
Or mail to:
Peoria Public Library
ATTN: Michelle Decker
107 NE Monroe St.
Peoria, IL 61602-1070
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., Monday, December 13, 2021