Want to make a difference in someone's life? Consider joining our library to assist customers in the ESL/Literacy Office by working with students speaking over 39 different first languages.
- Through structured interviews and tests, evaluate adult student language and/or literacy needs. Help students with the use of educational software to improve their language or literacy skills.
- Conduct one-on-one tutoring sessions and group programs on language use, citizenship process, cultural norms and other U.S. daily life skills. Coordinate and assist large volunteer team.
- Assist with outreach events and programs in the community. Collaborate with staff across the library to support ESL and literacy needs for all customers.
Requirements & Skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills for complex communication with customers.
- Experience working with diverse audiences.
- Fluency in a second language is desirable. Overseas experience a plus.
- Teaching/tutoring experience and familiarity with Adult Basic Education (ABE) or adult English Language Learners (ELL) preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced environment and excel in Our Culture.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Arlington Heights Memorial library adheres to CDC guidelines to provide a safe environment for staff and customers including face coverings, social distancing, hand sanitizer stations and regular cleaning/disinfection.