The Lake Forest Library, Lake Forest, IL is seeking an energetic, creative, and service-oriented Adult Services Librarian to deliver outstanding library services, resources, programs, and concierge level customer service to all patrons to further the library's mission to inspire lifelong learning, promote the free and respectful exchange of ideas, and build community. This position has no supervisory role. Applicants should have 2+ years of experience in a public library setting and experience developing and delivering innovative and creative programs, reference and RA services, outreach services, and Library-wide programs.
Reports to: Head of Adult Services Department
Work Schedule: 14 hours/week including 1-2 evenings a week, and 2 weekends a month
Benefit: pro rata vacation and sick leave
Non-exempt position open until filled; applications reviewed upon receipt.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide reference assistance and reader's advisory services via telephone, chat, email, and face-to-face interactions.
- Assist and instruct patrons regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services.
- Assist in developing and presenting innovative and relevant programs and activities, for example, book discussions, lectures, and technology classes.
- Develop, select, and maintain library collection of nonfiction books, audiovisual, and other materials as assigned.
- Assist the Communications Department in the internal and external print, physical, and electronic promotion of library services, resources, and programs.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with co-workers, other library professionals, and the public.
Education and Other Requirements
- MLS, MLIS, or MALS degree from an ALA accredited graduate school.
- Two plus years of experience working in public library or similar settings.
- Expertise in reference and reader's advisory resources and techniques.
- Working knowledge of literature, resources, technology, and services.
- Expertise in developing and delivering innovative and relevant programs and services, including technology classes.
- Knowledge of standard collection development, reading list resources for public libraries.
- Ability to work independently and a team member to develop, plan, and organize programs and services for adults.
- Strong interest and ability to explore new materials and technologies with an ability to learn, use, and teach new technologies.
- Demonstrated initiative and flexibility to adjust to changes in directions and priorities and accept new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate fluently in English.
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to use Internet search engines, word processing software, email, online computer catalogs, Microsoft Office 365, and other applications in the Lake Forest Library Technology Core Competency Program.
- Experience with social media platforms in professional work setting, preferably in a public library.
- Move, lift, carry, and put away items, weighing up to 20 pounds, sometimes repetitively
- Perform physical activities that require strength and coordination, such as pushing a loaded equipment cart
- Remain in a standing or sitting position for extended periods of time
- Ability to work in an inside environment that provides protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from indoor temperature and humidity changes
The responsibilities, duties, competencies, abilities, and education and other requirements outlined above are subject to change.
Illinois is at at-will-state, and as such, ongoing employment is not guaranteed.
Lake Forest Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library will review a reasonable request for accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Send a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and a Lake Forest Library Employment Application (https://www.lakeforestlibrary.org/jobs) to email@example.com using the Position Title in the subject line, or mail to c/o Lake Forest Library, 360 E Deerpath Rd, Lake Forest IL 60045. No phone calls. Position open until filled.
Lake Forest Library is located in the north suburbs of Chicago. The Library's mission is to inspire life-long learning, promote the free and respectful exchange of ideas, and build community. The Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.