An employee in this classification performs work of moderate difficulty by assisting the Technical Services Librarian in performing paraprofessional library duties. Work is distinguished by the ability to order new library materials and coordinate the circulation clerks' duties to process new material for library use. General supervision is received by the assigned manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Associate's degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school with a minimum of two years library experience; equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Some knowledge of bibliographic utility.
- Working skill in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Access and Publisher
- Working skill in organizing work to meet established deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Working skill in interpersonal interaction to be applied to a variety of individuals with differing education, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Working skills in verbal and written communication.
- Working skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends when required by the department's needs.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Previous Library Technical Services experience.
- Some knowledge of Online Computer Library Center (OCLC).
- Enter orders, using online database, for materials selected by librarians or requested by others. Search for bibliographic data (Publisher, ISBN number, etc.); place order and maintain acquisition files.
- Check in shipments of library materials. Post invoices and distribute to Circulation Department for processing. Notify faculty/staff that the materials they requested have arrived. Contact vendor regarding any shortages/damaged items to resolve these problems.
- Maintain bibliographic records on the database.
- Assist Librarians in preliminary cataloguing of records.
- Create inventory lists for Circulation staff to check against the physical material on all the shelves. Provide Technical Services Librarian with a list to replace or withdraw materials.
- Catalogue telecourse tapes, DVDs, and CDs.
- Prepare materials for the Reserve Shelf including cataloguing, labeling and other processing steps. Maintain Reserve Shelf records in database.
- Maintains required training, licensure and/or certifications
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws
- Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
- Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
- Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality
- Maintain inventory of library supplies; order supplies as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.