Under the supervision of the Circulation Lead, provides service to library patrons at the Circulation Desk and performs various complex clerical tasks related to the circulation and processing of library materials.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Greets library patrons, both in person and on the phone and refers to correct department.
• Checks materials in and out, and places reserves on library items.
• Issues and renews library cards.
• Answers directional questions and assists patrons with simple queries.
• Collects fees and maintains cash drawer.
• Provides assistance with self-checkouts and the use of the scanner.
• Sends outgoing faxes for the public.
• Cleans, sorts, and shelves library materials.
• Orient new patrons to of use the library.
• Interprets policies to the public and refers unresolved issues to supervisor.
• Oversees opening and closing procedures for Circulation Desk.
• Supports and contributes to the overall library mission.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Ability to pay attention to detail.
• Ability to learn computerized circulation functions and procedures.
• Ability to complete work accurately, efficiently, on time and with minimal supervision.
• Ability to exercise discretion and make independent decisions.
• Knowledge of library policies, procedures, goals and initiatives.
• Ability to work and communicate effectively and in a positive manner with public and staff. • Excellent customer service skills and service-oriented attitude.
• High School diploma or GED.
• One year's experience in a public contact position required.
• Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.