The Ela Area Public Library is seeking a creative, enthusiastic employee with a passion for crafting and maker technologies to join our Digital Services team and inspire inventive projects in our library's makerspace, Forge. The makerspace is an open, shared space for all ages located in the heart of our library. It includes 3D printers, Silhouette CAMEO and Cricut Cutting Machines, sewing machines, Arduinos, and more.
In this role you will assist patrons with maker projects and provide excellent customer service to people of all ages. You will develop and lead unique, innovative programs that instruct and inspire patrons' creativity to use tools and equipment in the space. And you will help to run many day-to-day operations of the makerspace, including leading maintenance and troubleshooting of maker equipment and tools, creation of training documentation, and inventory management.
- Provide excellent customer service to library patrons of all ages.
- Assist patrons with creative projects, especially those using maker tools and equipment such as 3D printers, a laser cutter, sewing machines, vinyl/paper cutting machines, and craft tools.
- Develop and lead diverse, innovative programs, with a focus on instruction using makerspace equipment and tools.
- Provide individual and group instruction, including creation and maintenance of training documentation.
- Troubleshoot makerspace equipment as needed and perform routine maintenance on technology in the space.
- Manage makerspace inventory and supplies.
- Keep informed of current information, upgrades, and trends. Share new ideas for the space and participate in professional development activities relating to areas of responsibility.
Knowledge and skills:
Strong people skills coupled with a commitment to providing excellent customer service to patrons and staff. Excellent technology troubleshooting skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong knowledge in Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS operating systems and software.
- Basic knowledge of design/editing software including Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Knowledge of maker equipment and software, such as 3D printers, sewing machines, laser cutters, vinyl cutting, etc.
- Strong public presentation and instructional skills.
- Speaking skills in other languages, particularly Spanish or Polish, is a plus.
- Demonstrate flexibility to work various shifts to accommodate the needs of the position, including evenings and weekends.
- Work both independently and collaboratively.
- Manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Communicate effectively with staff and patrons, both orally and in writing.
- Bend, reach and lift objects up to 20 pounds.
Requirements: Bachelor's degree preferred. 2 years of experience in customer service or STEAM-related fields, or a combination of education and experience. Library experience a plus. Familiarity and experience with makerspace technology and tools. Experience troubleshooting software and hardware. Experience in developing and facilitating age-appropriate instructional programs.
If you are interested in joining the Ela Area Public Library District and meet the job requirements described above, please email your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Department at email@example.com.
* The Ela Area Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin.