Markham Public Library is seeking a Director the opportunity to lead under the direction of the Library Board of Trustees. The director must possess a passion for cultivating learning, literacy, and engaging the community.
The Library Director is expected to demonstrate a talent for strategic thinking, excellent communication skills, and the ability to remain positive and flexible, and the ability to work with an experienced staff in developing and maintaining library services. The Director is responsible for the library's finances, and all aspects of operations.
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited college or university
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible managerial experience in public libraries preferably at the director or assistant director level
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, theories, objectives, and practices of library management and library science
- Ability to understand and interpret library policies, procedures, and rules
- Solid knowledge of current trends, principles, practices, and procedures including relevant state and federal laws; experience and knowledge of services offered by RAILS, SWAN, and other resources and developments in the library profession
- Ability to prepare administrative reports in a clear and logical manner
- Ability to think creatively, evaluate and fine-tune strategies, implement new ideas and optimizes solutions in all aspects of the job
- Ability to attend meetings outside the library with outside groups, agencies, and governmental entities and to participate in meetings outside normal working hours
Interested applicants can apply by forwarding cover letter, resume, and professional references to Wendie Dixon or by Email