Galesburg Public Library
The Galesburg Public Library seeks a reference librarian to provide customer service, manage online resources and the newspaper and magazine collection, and coordinate volunteer services.
The Galesburg Public Library provides library service to the 32,000 residents of the City of Galesburg. Located in west central Illinois approximately 35 miles east of the Mississippi River, Galesburg is a vibrant city with the benefits a small town. Galesburg is home to Knox College, Carl Sandburg College, the Knox-Galesburg Symphony, the Galesburg Civic Art Center, the magnificent restored Orpheum Theatre, and much more, but it is also just an Amtrak ride away from Chicago.
Galesburg is a remarkable city full of history: a stop on the Underground Railroad, host to one of the Lincoln-Douglas debates, and the birthplace of Carl Sandburg.
For more information, see the complete job description below.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, a current resume and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org or Jane Easterly,
40 E Simmons St, Galesburg IL 61401. Electronic applications are preferred. Applications received by January 28 will receive first consideration. Exact start date is negotiable. New and recent MLS graduates are encouraged to apply. Salary range starts at $19 per hour, based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits.
Galesburg Public Library
Position: Reference Librarian Department: Reference
Reports to: Department Supervisor Direct reports: Volunteers
Job Summary: Provide customer service by aiding customers in finding materials and information and showing customers how to use library equipment. Order and maintain a balanced collection of materials for the interests and needs of our community. Coordinate volunteer services. Coordinate magazine, newspaper, and online resource collections.
- Greet visitors to the library.
- Listen to customers and provide friendly helpful assistance to them in finding what they are seeking.
- Understand functions of all departments to direct patron inquiries appropriately.
- Reserve/order materials for customers including interlibrary loan requests.
- Monitor public computers and provide instruction, assistance and troubleshooting.
- Provide assistance with various machines including copy/print machines and microfilm readers.
- Promote library use through bibliographies, displays and other special projects.
- Manage assigned areas of adult collection.
- Participate in reference collection maintenance.
- Follow library policies and procedures.
- Index local newspaper.
- Supervise and coordinate library volunteers.
- Manage the magazine and newspaper collection.
- Coordinate the purchase of online resources.
- Write press releases and articles for local media.
- Promote library services via radio spots, social media, the newsletter, and the website.
- Assist with community outreach through programs and public relations.
- Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner which promotes good working relationships with patrons and staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree required; MLS preferred, library experience preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong knowledge of reference/reader's advisory skills.
- Working knowledge of computer applications for library services.
- Ability to comprehend customer needs quickly and accurately.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff and public.
- Strong knowledge of research tools, including reference materials, databases and online catalogs.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Able to reach, bend, stoop, and stand on feet for long periods of time.
- Able to push or pull heavy book carts, lift light weight materials and furniture.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibiliti
Applications received by January 28 will be given first consideration.