The Kaneville Public Library is seeking a friendly, energetic, and flexible part-time Library Associate to join our team and help us provide excellent service to our community. An interest in crafts and/or programming are a plus.
Summary of Position:
The Associate position serves primarily in the role of service to the public, and provides gracious and friendly reference, circulation and reader's advisory as essential functions of the position. Responsibilities may include face-to-face or telephone service, assisting users with their accounts, circulation functions, technical services duties and some level of technology assistance.
Due to the nature of a small staff, every associate position may be assigned a variety of front line service duties also while assisting with the collection, catalog, and circulation functions.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
- One year of public library experience preferred.
- Combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Circulation, technical services and reference experience preferred.
- Basic computer skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to providing positive and courteous customer service
- Ability to exercise discretion when working with the public and staff
- Team spirit attitude
- Detail-oriented, motivated, and flexible
The following duties are indicative of the type of work performed, but not meant to be a comprehensive list. Other duties may be assigned as appropriate.
- Operating as part of a team within a unified service environment, provides a broad range of professional library services including reference, reader's advisory, program registration, and interlibrary loan services using print materials, electronic and web-based resources, and social networking tools across a variety of equipment and devices.
- Regularly works the front desk performing Circulation and Technical Services duties.
- Assists patrons with library technology and equipment, catalog searches, holds, and other general needs.
- Shares responsibility for development and promotion of programs and services in the library facility. May perform or plan programs as assigned.
- May participate in collection development and management as assigned.
- Cheerfully promotes the library and its resources to community organizations.
- Meets job attendance requirements by being on-time for work, reporting absences as prescribed and showing regular attendance patterns.
- High level of dependability and trustworthiness.
- Must be able to bend and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Reliable transportation and communication devices.
- Excellent telephone manner, friendly demeanor, and helpful attitude with patrons.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter
to Ms. Shayne Phillips at the contact information below.
The job description and application are available at the circulation desk or online at https://www.kanevillelibrary.org/about-us/employment/.