Are you the person your friends come to when they need help tracing their family history or have a question about something that happened in their town or city years ago? Are you the one at family dinners showing people how to search ancestry.com? Do you get special satisfaction knowing you helped connect someone to just the right resource they need or find that missing piece of the puzzle? If so, you might be our next Genealogy Librarian.
The Ela Area Public Library in Lake Zurich, IL is looking for a Part-Time Reference Librarian-Genealogy Specialist to join our forward-thinking Adult Reference Department. The Adult Reference desk provides non-fiction reference and readers' advisory services and technology assistance. The desk is also responsible for the Library's study rooms, Digital Media Labs and VR headsets.
The Part-Time Reference Librarian will provide reference service at a busy reference desk, utilizing a large array of print reference resources, online databases, and the Internet. The position will also be required to perform basic computer troubleshooting and assistance with copiers, printers, MS Office, and the Internet.
The Genealogy Specialist will provide programming for patrons, including the Genealogy Interest Group and genealogy research classes. The position will also be required to represent the library at a variety of events and/or provide programming to community groups and serve as a liaison to the Ela Historical Society and Museum.
The ideal candidate will have a commitment to excellent public service and be comfortable with a variety of reference resources and technologies.
- MLS from ALA-Accredited Institution. Current MLS students are also welcome to apply
- Knowledge of basic reference resources and practices, including online sources and searching
- Knowledge of technology applications relative to public library reference services
- Experience with genealogy research preferred
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Spanish, Polish, or Chinese language skills a plus
If you are interested in joining the Ela Area Public Library District and meet the job requirements described above, please email your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Ela Area Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin.