Duties: Responsible for performing specialized functions related to public service involving circulation system functions; performs other Circulation Specialist functions as required.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Oversees specialized services regarding registrations to patrons and staff.
- Preparing patron library cards, creating and maintaining the library's patron database, and providing reports and statistics of patron information and non-residents fees.
- Trains, and serves as a resource to all library staff regarding patron registration.
- Maintaining confidentiality of patron records and transactions.
- Assists patrons with any questions regarding their account and overdue notices.
- Performs telephone receptionist duties, ascertaining the nature of the call, and personally assists the caller or directs the caller to the appropriate individual or department; answers patron inquiries and refers to appropriate area/staff member; interacts extensively with patrons, staff, outside agencies and other libraries.
OTHER CIRCULATION SPECIALIST FUNCTIONS:
- Maintaining the Holds location, troubleshooting erroneous materials, and removing unclaimed material; files holds by placing materials in appropriate order on shelving units.
- Processes materials requested by our patrons and materials requested by other libraries, and preparing those materials for shelving or delivery.
- Serves as the liaison with RAILS and other libraries regarding delivery, and materials moving between libraries.
- Prints, reviews, and mails library notices; determines replacement prices for materials at billing; assesses material damage and prepares bill for patrons.
- Serving as the liaison to the library's materials recovery agency and determining payment arrangements with patrons when appropriate; maintains and provides notice and billing statistics; coordinates with local police regarding restitution for materials not returned; communicates with other libraries' billing staff.
- Works closely with the ILL department and selectors concerning patron requests.
- Trains new staff in ILS software and keeps all circulation desk staff current with library software functions and trends; troubleshoots automated circulation problems; acts as circulation liaison with IT and digital services librarian.
- Creating templates for reports, as well as to improve current practices by applying technology to daily processes and procedures; maintains and files various records and reports.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent/GED; AND three (3) years as a circulation associate or equivalent, OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.