The Deer Creek District Library is currently searching for a Library Director. We serve a district of about 1300 people located in Deer Creek, IL, between Peoria and Bloomington. The library is the heart of our community. Therefore, we are looking for someone who will create a welcoming environment while reaching out to all of our patrons, whether it be through the school, churches, various community groups, or local businesses. The library has a Board of Trustees consisting of 6 members who are very active in and supportive of the library. We are seeking an individual who is proficient in technology, laws, procedures and reports pertaining to libraries, writing grants, and library programming that will reach out to all age groups. Strong communication skills will be important as well when working with staff, patrons, and the library board. An individual with library experience is preferred. Having a Library Science degree or some classes toward that degree would be desirable, but not required. It is important that the candidate be organized, have good judgement, and be able to maintain confidentiality.
The following is a list of responsibilities of the Library Director position:
● The Director will plan and administer all aspects of library operations including:
● Supervising staff and volunteers
● Implementing policies set by the Library Board
● Developing and promoting innovative and creative programs for all age groups
● Provide diverse and accessible collections to best serve library patrons
● Act as the representative at local and state meetings, as needed
The following is a list of qualities desired in our Library Director:
● Effective interpersonal relations, including strong team-building, active listening and problem solving skills
● Experience in financial management, budgeting, district library law and operating policies and strategic planning, grant writing, and the ability to share that knowledge with others
● Strong communication skills when working with the board, staff and the community in promoting library services and the value of the library including the use of social media
● Proficiency with technology associated with library management, software applications, and hardware maintenance
● Experience in materials selection, collection maintenance and organization with a true love for libraries and the principals they support
Please email a cover letter, resume and references (2 professional and 1 personal) to the Deer Creek Library Board at email@example.com. Contact information for references should include name, position, email address, and phone number.