The Prairie Trails Public Library District is currently accepting resumes for a part-time Youth Services Assistant. This position is primarily responsible for providing reference, readers' advisory, and programming for children and their caregivers. Adhering to library policy, the employee assists patrons with the use of library materials and resources, participates in professional development in order to make pertinent contributions to the library and community, and possesses a drive to produce quality work.
- Provides excellent customer service through reference and reader's advisory for children and their caregivers.
- Assists with the use of electronic resources such as databases, eBook platforms, and the online catalog.
- Develops, plans, and implements creative and dynamic programming for children birth-twelfth grade, as well as their caregivers.
- Participates in the planning of the Summer Reading and other Reading Programs.
- Assists in publicizing events through flyers and social media.
- Communicates library policies and procedures to patrons in an accurate and courteous manner.
- Assists the Department Head of Youth Services in collection development by weeding various collections on a rotating basis and providing suggestions for purchase.
- Maintains a working knowledge of children's literature and its trends.
- Provides outreach to schools and other community agencies, including summer reading promotional visits.
- Hosts field trips and conducts library tours.
- Prepares booklists and promotional materials including displays and bulletin boards.
- Provides technology instruction to patrons in online catalog usage, database instruction, Microsoft Office Suite, and games found on the Youth Services computers and tablets.
- Assist patrons with searching and downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks to various devices.
- Maintains the appearance of the Youth Services Department including participating in seasonal decorating.
- Performs Youth Services Department Opening and Closing Procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required or LTA required.
- Previous library experience desired
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Ability to learn integrated library system program, and other platforms.
- Competent communication skills—telephone and in-person.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Reasonable and independent sense of judgment and discretion.
- Capability to adapt to and effectively implement change.
- Ability to works on a team and independently.
- Ability to maintain library policy and procedures.
- Must provide own transportation.
- Ability to work evenings and Saturdays.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Physical requirements include: good speaking, hearing and vision ability, ability to push carts of library materials weighing up to 100 pounds frequently, lifting materials weighting up to 50 pounds.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in a typical library environment.
Please submit resume along with three professional references to email@example.com