Building Services Associate
The Joliet Public Library is looking for a friendly, mechanically skilled applicant for a full-time Building Services Associate position. Reporting to the Building Services Manager, the ideal candidate will have strong mechanical, electrical and plumbing knowledge, with the ability to identify, troubleshoot and resolve technical problems. This position will require a combination of daytime, evening and or weekend hours.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform and document maintenance on equipment, fixtures, and other components of physical infrastructure.
- Must be able to perform but not limited to the following skills: carpentry, plumbing, masonry, electrical, painting and janitorial.
- Required knowledge in the use of all hand and power tools common to the skills listed above.
- Make necessary repairs to equipment and buildings.
- Perform grounds maintenance and maintain exterior appearance of buildings.
- Wash windows and walls, clean floors, dust, and vacuum as needed.
- Prep and paint walls and ceilings as necessary.
- Pick up garbage and other waste around the outside of the library buildings.
- Collect and remove garbage and recycling as needed.
- Cut grass and assist in the maintenance of landscaping.
- Maintain up-to-date building logs.
- Perform preventative maintenance on all air handling units on a regular schedule including the replacement of filters and belts and greasing as required.
- Empty the material return drop boxes.
- Move containers of library materials to the dock for the courier service.
- Assist with loading and unloading of materials at the dock.
- Remove snow and de-ice sidewalks as needed.
- Move furniture and equipment as needed.
- Assist with room set ups for programming needs.
- Execute opening and closing procedures successfully.
- Perform emergency cleaning tasks (leaks, spills, vomit, etc.)
- Respond to off-duty emergencies as needed.
- Participate in rotating on call schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school education or equivalent.
- Ability to perform maintenance tasks involved in the position.
- Ability to operate all equipment and tools necessary to perform job duties.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds of materials.
- Ability to relate to Library patrons of all ages in a positive, patient, and effective manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with co-workers.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively on radio system.
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the position.
- Ability to work a variety of hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to follow directions and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to use the Library's computer maintenance management system software.
The starting salary is $16.86 per hour. We offer excellent benefits -- 12 sick days per year, 3 weeks of vacation, and 10 holidays per year. IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund) is included as well as medical, dental and vision insurance plans.
Send cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Human Resources Department
Joliet Public Library
150 N. Ottawa St.
Joliet, IL 60432-4192