Share the Joy of Discovery!
Are you a library professional committed to leading a collaborative, progressive staff that supports a vibrant and diverse community? The Ela Area Public Library is searching for an Executive Director that is collaborative, strategic and innovative. Our opportunity is centered on leading a dedicated and creative staff within a state-of-the-art facility. This role will work together with a committed Board of Trustees who are invested in the community and will offer support for your initiatives while challenging and energizing you. Do your values include fostering curiosity, promoting innovation, empowerment through inclusivity and working collaboratively with others? If we've captured your library leadership aspirations, consider this opportunity!
Located 45 miles northwest of Chicago and serving more than 35,000 residents, the Ela Area Public Library District is the community's hub of information, creativity and innovation. Rated multiple times as a Five Star Library by Library Journal, we are dedicated to delivering innovative services that address our community's emerging needs. We offer progressive programs, a team-oriented and creative library staff and we pride ourselves on being on the forefront of providing new resources to our community. For an overview of the services and resources that we provide to our patrons, please visit us at www.eapl.org.
How You'll Serve Our Organization
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Library Director will serve as a visionary leader, an advocate for the library and champion for the community and the library.
- Oversee the strategic planning for the District while formulating the goals and objectives to meet the needs of the community and recommending library policy to the Board of Trustees
- Evaluate and actively promote library programs and services along with the Board, staff and community
- Lead the staff and the library in a highly professional manner, continuing to foster teamwork, collaboration and trust. Responsible for recruitment, selection, training and evaluation of library staff
- Ensure library compliance with federal, state and local laws. Manage the tax levy process, formulate and manage the library budget in conjunction with the Board and prepare required reports
- Advocate for and represent the library at public events and foster formal and informal relationships with local government agencies and community organizations
- Serve as a visionary, communicative and innovative leader responding to the needs of the community and adapting to the evolving role of public libraries
- Acts as the primary liaison with the Board of Trustees for all strategic and financial management decisions and keeps the board apprised of events, trends and issues affecting the library and the community
- In conjunction with the Board, responsible for the development and implementation of the public relations programs
- Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of the physical facility including projecting long term improvements
- Works closely with technology projects to help prioritize the implementation of new technologies and chairs monthly Department Head meetings
What We Require
- Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university or equivalent professional degree
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible public library management experience, preferably 4 years as an Executive Director or Assistant Director
- Thorough knowledge of current and trending policies and practices of public library functions
- Financial expertise in planning and implementing library budgeting and levying processes
- Provide decisive leadership and thoughtful coaching and guidance to staff
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral and the ability to speak effectively to groups
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of Trustees, the staff, and public. Interact courteously and diplomatically with the public
- Evaluate information and exercise appropriate judgment in establishing and managing priorities and resolving complex matters
- Exhibit integrity and a personal commitment to high professional, ethical and service standards and support EAPL's mission and demonstrate a commitment to the Library's core values
- Maintain FOIA and Open Meetings Act (OMA) annual certification
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefit program includes health, dental, vision, paid time off and participation in the IMRF retirement plan. Some relocation assistance available.
Come and share our 'Joy of Discovery'! If you desire an environment where you will impact the community, the Ela Area Public Library will be a great match for you! For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to https://eapl.recruitpro.com/jobs/129089-30926.html
The Ela Area Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Key Words: Executive Director – Library, Library Director, Assistant Library Director