Full-time ELL-Spanish Services Associate – OSB/BRB
The Joliet Public Library is seeking a community minded team player to join our dynamic and innovative Youth Services team as an ELL/Spanish Services Associate. Joliet Public Library serves a diverse community of over 147,000 with two branches. Our ideal candidate has a passion for reaching everyone in our community with our mission to help Joliet Read, Explore, Ask, and Discover and seeks to work within a collaborative, multi-tasking environment.
This position will include creating English and Spanish language programming for preschool and school aged children and their families, staffing community outreach events, and providing outstanding customer service within the library. This full-time position requires flexible scheduling including daytime, evening, and weekend hours and works out of the Ottawa Street Branch. Conversational fluency in Spanish and English is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in, and proactively promote, library services in the community.
- Represent the library in a positive and professional manner at library meetings, programs, and outreach events.
- Schedule, develop and facilitate bilingual (Spanish/English) and Spanish language Adult or Youth language library programs.
- Facilitate and assist with bilingual or Spanish language outreaches, storytimes and events in the community.
- Collaborate and communicate with various levels of all staff, volunteers, and community partners, including participating in meetings and committees.
- In coordination with Technology Department, coordinate Spanish language and/or bilingual technology classes or demonstrations in the library facilities and in the community; interpret and translate instructional content.
- Under the guidance of Communications Coordinator, assist with translation of digital and physical program and departmental calendars into Spanish; collaborate on publicity of ELL programs, services, and displays; provide promotional text in English and Spanish, and assist in developing a variety of bilingual programming and communication tools.
- Track and report relevant monthly department statistics.
- Assist patrons of all ages in a positive, timely, and efficient manner.
- Prepare, instruct and promote technology proficiency bilingually.
- Assist patrons of all ages in using the public computers, including basic instruction and troubleshooting. Assist patrons with the basic use of available Internet resources and computer software programs.
- Assist and train patrons in using all currently available Adult or Youth Services equipment, including but not limited to computers, printers, copiers, scanners, and the print release station.
- Perform readers' advisory services for patrons.
- Assist patrons in answering questions and locating resources through a variety of print and electronic resources. Place hold requests, check the status of patrons' library accounts and answer account-related queries.
- Assist patrons in using the library catalog, electronic resources, and other library resources. Assist and train patrons on library e-book resources.
- Use problem-solving abilities to address patron complaints and conflicts.
- Perform all tasks with a high degree of independence and minimal supervision.
- Bachelor's degree, LTA Certificate from an accredited college, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Proficiency in written and oral communication, both in English and in Spanish.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to relate well to individuals of various ages and backgrounds
- Knowledge of computers, on-line searching techniques and some familiarity with the Internet.
- Knowledge of electronic and non-electronic reference materials.
- Adaptability for changes in existing practices, library routines, workflows and suggestions for improvement
- Ability to be tactful and respect confidentiality of library users and staff
- Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently and effectively
- Ability to work independently with accuracy and detail-mindedness
- Ability to use email and other computer applications including social media
- Ability to learn new technology, as needed, and be adept at using library equipment
- Ability to take direction from various levels of staff within the library
- Ability to conduct a reference interview.
- Ability to perform readers' advisory.
- Ability to use and explain the use of catalogs, guides, and other library resources to individuals and groups.
- Ability to work in an environment with families and young children
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff.
- Ability to work effectively with customers and staff in a mutually cooperative manner.
- Ability to work a variety of hours, including days, evenings, and weekends.
Starting salary $19.40 per hour. We offer excellent benefits—12 sick days per year, 3 weeks of vacation, and 10 holidays per year. IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund) is included as well as medical, dental and vision insurance.