One hundred thirty-six libraries in Illinois share an integrated library automation system known as PrairieCat. By sharing the cost of central site equipment, computer and database maintenance, staff, and telecommunications, libraries of all sizes (including public, academic, school and special) have found it possible to join the consortium and to realize the advantages of automated resource sharing.
The Senior Systems Specialist helps PrairieCat attain our organizational goals by assisting with the operation of all PrairieCat hardware, software, telecommunications and infrastructure. Duties include maintenance and troubleshooting of various enterprise level software and hardware implementations, including physical servers and desktops, virtual servers, and our cloud-hosted server environment. The Senior Systems Specialist also assists in the configuration and troubleshooting of the integrated library system (ILS) shared by PrairieCat members.
Working closely with other PrairieCat staff and member libraries, this team member provides helpdesk support to our member libraries to assure excellent service. Serving as a backup to other Systems staff, the position assists with various statistics and reports for member libraries. The position also performs site visits to members and serves to advise members on their hardware, software, and network configurations in order to operate properly with PrairieCat systems.
Requirements & Skills:
Education: Associate's Degree required. Additional IT certifications highly preferred.
- 2 years of experience in library technology or related field highly preferred
- Experience with integrated library systems preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer hardware and software
- Experience troubleshooting Windows and Linux operating systems
- Experience working with Microsoft server in an Enterprise environment preferred
- Experience with telecommunications infrastructure maintenance preferred
- Experience working with VMWare or other virtualized server software preferred
- Experience with PC hardware and software installation, deployment and maintenance, including disc imaging and remote maintenance tools
- Experience and knowledge with best practices regarding network, server and endpoint security (anti-virus/anti-malware deployments) in an Enterprise environment
- Understanding and working knowledge of internet protocols, including firewall configuration and maintenance
- Experience working with and supporting clients with various levels of technical expertise
- Ability to use extensive workplace technology including email, Internet, office software, remote collaboration tools, and other software
Read the full job description here.
Vacation, sick and personal leave. Nine paid holidays. Health/dental/vision/life insurance. 401(a) retirement plan and voluntary 457(b)/Roth IRA retirement plans.
Please submit the following via email with subject line "Senior Systems Specialist - Last Name" at Elizabeth.email@example.com:
- Letter of interest
- Completed employment application (application available here)
This position is housed in either the RAILS Bolingbrook Service Center (1000 W. Crossroads Parkway, Suite A, Bolingbrook, IL)
OR RAILS Coal Valley Service Center (220 W. 23rd Ave, Coal Valley, IL)
See the job posting on the PrairieCat website.