Do you like working with books, movies, and music? Are you detailed-oriented? Do you have a good sense of humor? If you answered "Yes" to all three questions, then please consider joining our fun Collection Management & Technical Services Department!
Fountaindale Public Library District, which proudly serves the diverse community of Bolingbrook, Illinois, is seeking an individual to perform all duties necessary to maintain the library's collections and assist in the acquisitions, processing, and technical services workflows. This position receives and processes library materials in preparation for circulation. Creates and maintains attractive displays throughout the building. Assists with a variety of collection processes, including withdraws, leased items, and shifting of materials. The ideal candidate will be hard working, detail-oriented, flexible and have a sense of humor.
- Receives library materials, opens boxes and checks against packing lists to ensure accurate shipment and receipt of all library materials. Updates basic information in the library's computer system upon receipt of material.
- Processes library materials in preparation for catalogers and circulation. Creates and applies barcodes, labels, stickers, and tags materials with RFID security.
- Creates displays for all collections as assigned. Produces signage using computer software and creates decorations and other content to accompany library materials on display.
- Maintains all collection display areas. Keeps all displays updated, well stocked, and attractive. Performs de-newing of materials when needed. Replenishes circulating materials like book bags on racks.
- Locates and pulls lists of items as assigned. Performs inventory of collections as assigned.
- Assists with the shifting and moving of library collections as needed.
- Creates and maintains record sets and spreadsheets necessary for tracking of display materials. Uses library's computer system to change item's shelving locations and circulation statuses.
- Assists with the process of withdrawing materials and handling of donations. Assists in the maintenance and return of leased materials when needed.
- Returns damaged materials and investigates missing materials with vendor.
- Assists with special projects as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Two years of high school required.
Experience: Up to 1 year related experience in a comparable business, organization or library preferred.
Office & Library
Basic knowledge of productivity suites.
Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
Ability to adapt to and effectively implement change.
Ability to exercise reasonable and independent judgment and discretion.
Ability to arrange materials in call number (alphabetical and numerical) order.
Communicates effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
Speaking skills in other languages, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and public.
Ability to stay calm and effective in difficult situations.
Ability to empathize and relate to the needs of all patrons and staff.
Library staff and management
Library patrons, vendors and publishers
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
Physical requirements include: good speaking, hearing and vision ability, excellent manual dexterity, ability to push a cart weighing 100 pounds, ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally and up to 20 pounds frequently. Position requires standing for prolonged periods of time.
Work is performed in a typical library environment. Part-time position. May require some weekend and evening work.