Assist in the daily operation of the circulation desk, including the provision of circulation services and answering patron questions. Hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform all daytime circulation desk duties:
- Check in/out/renew monographs, serials, anatomical models, and other circulating/reserve collection items;
- Shelve and help maintain circulating and reserve collection;
- Input new patron records and update existing patron records in Alexandria cataloging system;
- Assist with creation/maintenance of other basic catalog records;
- Answer patron questions and escalate requests appropriately;
- Assist with the maintenance of circulating and reserve collection;
- Assist with collection shifting, weeding, and other library space-planning activities;
- Assist with general maintenance of library environment, including cleaning dry-erase boards, rebooting/troubleshooting computers/printers, returning furniture to original location, etc.
- Answer phone in a professional manner and route calls appropriately;
- Answer email questions in a professional manner and route messages appropriately;
- Assist patrons in locating materials;
- Report meter readings on printers monthly;
- Keep statistics on usage of printers;
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor(s) and library staff, as needed.
Required Education & Experience
- High school diploma;
- 2+years of library and/or clerical experience;
- Basic computer and software skills
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent organization skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to create a courteous and pleasant first impression of the Library;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and library patrons (faculty, staff, and students);
- Demonstrate computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel;
- Flexibility to deal with multiple or unexpected tasks and patrons simultaneously.
- Must achieve a background check clearance
- Experience working in a library environment, including familiarity with circulation services, reference, and electronic resources;
- LTA degree;
Typical Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Candidates must submit a resume and cover letter in order to be considered.
Please click the link below to apply, and please make sure to mention that you saw the job listing on RAILS. Thanks!