The South Holland Public Library is looking for a fun, friendly and innovative individual who loves working with young children, youth, teens and their families in a diverse community. Do you have great customer service and communication skills? Are you good at science fair and research projects? If you know Greg Heffley and Harry Potter, we are looking for you. You must be a self-starter, flexible and a team player.
- Initiates, prepares and presents programs for infants through 8th grade.
- Provides reference, reader's advisory and other library services to youth, teens and families.
- Shares responsibility for collection development, selection and weeding of all materials in the Youth Services Department.
- Assists in arranging and conducting group visits to the library, school visits and outreach to the community.
- Assists patrons with computers, printing, social media, other electronic devices while navigating the online catalog and other library resources.
- Plans and develops bulletin boards, decorations and displays as well as handouts for the Youth Services Department
- Maintains a regular schedule on the youth reference desk and provides courteous and accurate service to all users.
- May be assigned responsibility for general operations of the department in absence of the Head of Youth Services.
- Knowledge of bibliographic and reference tools and resources.
- Knowledge of children's and young adult literature and library trends.
- Knowledge of computers, internet and phone applications.
- Ability to establish good rapport with youth, teens, families and schools.
- Ability to work effectively on a team and independently.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program or degree expected in six (6) months of hire.
- Minimum of one (1) year professional experience working with children and teens.
- Library experience preferred.
- Spanish Language skills preferred.
- Reads, understands, writes legibly and speaks articulately in English.
- Position requires day, evening and Saturday hours.
- Access to Transportation.
Position is non-exempt, full-time at 36 hours per week. Benefits include health insurance, paid time off and IMRF.
Application deadline is Tuesday, December 31, 2019.
Apply via email only with a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Christyn Rayford, Head of Youth Services at email@example.com.