Position Overview: Under the supervision of the Head of Circulation Services, responsibilities include but are not limited to routine circulation using automated circulation system, shelf maintenance, data inputting, telephone answering, and other clerical functions.
- Understands and is able to perform all jobs related to circulation services, including but not limited to: charging, discharging, and renewing library materials; registering and re-registering patrons; receiving and processing reserves and system-level hold requests; routing interlibrary loan requests; collecting and recording fines and fees, and handling the book drops.
- Assist patrons in locating materials and using library resources.
- Receives phone calls, and assists or transfers call as necessary.
- Receives and resolves circulation-related problems and enforces Library policy.
- Sorting and distributing mail.
- Run daily circulation reports, as needed.
- Collects, transmits, and secures money
- Carries out procedures to identify and retrieve overdue materials, and settles problems arising from late, damaged, or lost materials
- Maintains statistics on circulation activity and on the use of non-circulation library services that are recorded at the Circulation Desk,
- Responsible for the appearance and order of the Circulation Desk
- Shelves Library materials; shelf reads and keeps materials in good order; shift in the stacks.
- Performs or assist in Library opening and closing procedures.
- Provides patrons with general information on library services; assists and instructs patrons in using library services, equipment, and facilities
- Maintains library website
- Assists in technology and one-on-one computer tutoring with patrons
- Assists in creating and marketing promotional material
- Assists in OCLC lending and borrowing
- Assists in performing non-circulation work in the Adult and Children's Departments, as needed
- Attends professional and community meetings, workshops, and conferences, as assigned
- Reviews professional publications for suitable books, periodicals, and other materials. Recommends purchase of items.
- Executing passports applications
- Performs other duties, as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of clerical practices
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to use and manage the library's automated circulation system
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and with other staff
- Ability to respond in an effective manner to the concerns of library patrons
- Ability to understand and interpret library policies, procedures, and rules
- Ability to keep records accurately
- Ability to organize work for efficient use of time
- Ability to word process and type with reasonable speed and accuracy
- Ability to represent the library at professional and community meetings
- Ability to work independently
- Regular attendance expected
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent. Previous clerical, retail, or library experience is a plus. Bachelor's Degree is preferred. Excellent customer service skills are essential. Working knowledge of computer word processing programs necessary. Knowledge of basic website design, HTML, and WordPress. Spanish and or Polish skills a plus.
Other Qualifications: Schedule may include evening and weekend hours as needed.
Ability to move and/or lift materials up to 25 pounds
Ability to stand, walk, bend, kneel, crawl, reach, climb, balance, and sit