Are you absorbed in the twists and turns of an epic children's book series and want to share your passion with kids? Do you fill your Pinterest pages with cute craft ideas for kids? Are you a quick adopter of new gadgets and have a knack for using them? Come and work at the friendliest library in Illinois! The Fremont Public Library serves residents of multiple villages in the Mundelein area. The youth department serves children and teens ages birth to 18 and the adults who love them. We have a busy and engaging department that needs YOU to help us serve people every hour we are open. This position will not start until January 6, 2020.
In this position you will:
- Create ongoing crafts for patrons of all ages.
- Provide fun STEAM classes for elementary-aged students at the library.
- Perform various Youth Department support tasks with precision and attention to detail.
- Work with groups such as Scouts, Homeschoolers, and Learning Clubs to enhance their library visits.
- Provide excellent customer service as you help find materials, place holds, sign up for events, and recommend books and movies.
- Assist librarians with planning, preparing, and presenting programs for babies, children, and teens including outreach to schools and community centers.
- Host and evaluate programs presented by hired performers.
- Support the Summer Library Club and other services and programs throughout the year.
To be successful you will:
- Display an outgoing, friendly personality and ability to think on your feet.
- Be patient, helpful and enthusiastic about working with children and teens and the adults who care for them.
- Have interest and knowledge about media for children.
- Have good computer applications and Internet skills. Must also be able to assist patrons with adding and navigating all library apps onto their portable devices.
- Have an Associate's Degree or higher.
- Have prior experience in a public library, bookstore or school. Other experiences working with children also may qualify.
What we offer:
- A very competitive benefits package including individual & family health insurance coverage, vacation and sick time, IMRF Pension, 457 investment plan, and 8 weeks of paid parental leave (after 1 year of employment).
- Opportunity to grow in your career – we offer 50% tuition reimbursement for courses toward a Library/Information Science degree after 6 months of employment.
Email cover letter and resume:
Re: YS Associate Position