Do you have excellent customer service and creative problem-solving skills? Do you have a passion for library service and working with patrons of all ages? Area you a team-oriented leader always looking at ways to expand library services?
Fountaindale Public Library District, which proudly serves the diverse community of Bolingbrook, is looking for an energetic, creative and customer-service-oriented individual to lead the Outreach Services Department. The Outreach Department consists of seven full time staff members that represent the library out in the community. Using our Bookmobile and Express van, staff visit and program to patrons of all ages. Stops include schools, parks, community events, and retirement housing.
If you are someone who wants to make a difference in people's lives by cultivation a growing community, providing amazing customer service and expand the services we offer to the community, please apply today.
- Provide consistent, gracious and friendly service to internal and external customers.
- Understands and enforces library policies and procedures while safeguarding intellectual freedom and patron privacy.
- Participates as an active member of the Library's leadership team, including strategic library planning and goal setting.
- Works with Outreach Services staff to establish relationships and partnerships with community organizations to foster cooperation with, and utilization of, the library and mobile Outreach Services. Evaluates effectiveness of Outreach programs and partnerships.
- Pursues opportunities to increase knowledge of current mobile outreach, community partnership, volunteer and marketing trends at the local, regional and national library level.
- Evaluates the efficiencies and mechanical needs of the Bookmobile along with the Assistant Outreach Services Manager.
- Researches trends for methods to provide mobile Outreach Services to the community in addition to the Bookmobile.
- Investigate and implement technology solutions for mobile outreach services.
- Oversees Outreach Services departmental budgets.
- Actively participates in consortial and internal discussions as related to integrating new initiatives into our consortial catalog and into our District.
- Chairs and participates in regional and library wide committees.
- Ensures there is a sustainable and viable volunteer program.
- Works closely with the Collection Management and Technical Services Department to promote the collection.
- Organizes and leads monthly meetings and trainings with all Outreach staff in cooperation with the Assistant Outreach Services Manager.
- Schedules, trains and evaluates the performance of the Assistant Outreach Services Manager and two Specialists. Actively participates in the developmental plans of subordinate employees.
- Collaborates with the Communications Department to develop promotional materials to promote the Outreach Department as well as the Library as a whole.
- Performs all duties of Outreach Services when needed.
- Responds to any building responsibility need as required.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Requires expertise acquired through completion of a MLS program from an ALA-accredited library school. Includes evenings and weekends. Must have valid driver's license.
Minimum of 5 years related library experience in a comparable organization or library with focus on Outreach services preferred. Progressive management experience preferred.
- Within a team environment, he or she demonstrates strong leadership and enthusiastically cultivates positive working relationships.
- Strong knowledge of outreach services, principles, trends, practices and technology
- Able to use sound judgment in applying the principles of librarianship in a customer driven manner.
- Knowledge of productivity suites and integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of reference techniques and digital information retrieval.
- Ability to incorporate technology into programming and other public services.
- Basic knowledge of children's, teen, and adult literature, popular materials and reference materials in a variety of formats.
- Ability to exercise reasonable and independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data to produce new or revised processes and procedures.
- Ability to adapt to and effectively implement change.
- Ability to effectively use a variety of tablets and similar devices.
- Must have valid driver's license.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid class C Illinois driver's license within 90 days of hire.
- Must pass Motor Vehicle Background Check at hire and annually thereafter.
- General knowledge of the mechanics of operating large vehicles.
- Provides consistent, gracious and friendly service to internal and external customers.
- Communicates effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Speaking skills in other languages, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
- Ability to stay calm and effective in difficult situations.
- Ability to empathize and relate to the needs of all patrons.
- Prepares and delivers oral presentations.
Position has supervisory responsibility. Interview, hire, train, encourage, review work, inspire, assist, develop, counsel, evaluate, discipline and enforce library rules and policies.
Library staff and management
Patrons, school staff, performers, community agencies, senior facilities, vendors, and staff from other libraries.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
Physical requirements include: good speaking, hearing and vision ability, ability to push carts of library materials weighing up to 100 pounds daily, lifting materials weighing up to 50 pounds daily and carrying up to 20 pounds frequently. Will require standing for prolonged periods of time.
Work is performed in a Bookmobile/Library Express Van, classrooms, outdoors for programming, as well as a typical library environment. Will be exposed to inclement weather conditions. Requires some weekend and evening work. Full-time position.