We are seeking a positive, customer service orientated person to join our library team in our busy Materials Services Department.
The Materials Services Assistant is a part-time, position under the supervision of the Materials and Business Services Manager working in the Materials Services Department. The Materials Assistant responds to the needs of library users by providing courteous, knowledgeable assistance in the Materials Services Department.
Responsibilities include working with the Assistant Materials Services Manager and other staff members to provide library services to the public at the Materials Services desk by:
- Greeting visitors to the library and providing friendly customer service.
- Performing the full range of circulation procedures using an automated circulation system.
- Shelving and shifting library materials as assigned.
- Checking in/out all library materials and inspecting items for damage
- Issuing user cards, maintaining files, and entering information into database.
- Emptying indoor and outdoor material returns.
- Opening and sorting incoming interlibrary loan items
- Searching for and placing holds on library materials.
- Assessing and collecting fees for lost materials and processing payment (cash or credit).
- Answering the telephone to provide routine information or refer/transfer call to other departments.
- Providing ready reference service to users in person and over the phone.
- Implementing all library policies and procedures.
- Ability to work desired schedule: Monday 11-5, Friday 11-5 weekly, 1 Sunday 12:30-5, and 1-2 Saturdays per month
- Computer literate and experience with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Ability to arrange alphabetically and numerically.
- Wide flexibility of movement is required including standing, bending, and lifting. Must be able to lift and carry at least 20 lbs. and push or pull carts loaded with library materials.
- Ability to show initiative, use good judgment in making decisions and exercise discretion with patrons and staff.
- Previous Library experience preferred.
- High School Diploma is required.
- Cash handling experience is required.
- Successful candidates will embrace our culture
Please email a resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.