Reporting to the Campus Director, the Librarian performs a variety of library services including reference, technical services, cataloguing, circulation management, internal records and files management, and data entry of holdings in the Library's automated system. The incumbent manages, organizes, and administers library operations, and daily library functions. This includes providing library services for users, providing health information instruction/orientation for students, and developing and deploying library support staff schedules and assignments to assure library coverage.
Supervisory Responsibility: Federal Work-Study students
- Directs the overall operations of the Chicago Campus library.
- Ensures smooth operation of circulation functions by hiring, training, scheduling and supervising student assistants.
- Develops, implements, and properly communicates circulation policies. Supervises circulation desk activities. Resolves patron circulation issues and assists in the resolution of building and resource access issues.
- Plans, develops and maintains instructional orientations and education services on use of library resources.
- Prepares and updates written material for instructional use, brochures, etc. on Library resources as required for the College.
- Cataloging: performs copy cataloguing, provides labels and book cards; some OPAC database maintenance and problem solving.
- Implements Cybertools for Libraries system, reconciling library materials with barcodes and spine labels, and developing a patron file database of users for the circulation system.
- Reference: Provide research (reference) help in person, at the service desk as scheduled, as well as by phone, appointment and email. Assists patrons in use of OPAC, access to electronic resources, including PubMed, ProQuest Nursing and Allied Health Database, EBSCOhost, Cochrane, and other health information databases.
- Closely collaborates with Dean of Libraries (San Diego) and New York Campus librarian to improve shared resources including digital access to online resources and website management.
- Works with Academic Deans and Library Committee Chair and faculty to develop the collection, based on faculty and curriculum needs and recommendations. Assures that at least one copy of required books are in the library.
- Prepares statistics and reports on library usage and activities.
- Information Technology Equipment: Assists users to access information on the Internet, and assists with technical support of electronic equipment (computers, copier, media machines).
- Develops and writes appropriate library reports including annual reports, accreditation reports, budgets and costs analysis as needed.
- Other duties: Develops appropriate library records, maintains the library in orderly status, participates in library events and activities, sorts and shelves books, videos, serial issues.
- Communicates with the other campus libraries via Email or telephone conferences.
- Attends the Library Committee meetings every term and Tri-Campus Meeting each month.
Education and Experience:/Job Skills:
- Masters Degree in Library and/or Information Science from and ALA accredited institution
- Knowledge and experience with library computer systems, hardware and software.
- Experience in communicating and maintaining relationships with external library professionals and businesses.
- Continuing Education credits in Medical Librarianship is preferred.
- 2+ years experience in conducting comparable library or medical library services.
This is an ideal role for someone who is interested in work-life balance. Candidates nearing retirement or semi-retirement or recent grads looking to expand their library skills. Also a unique opportunity to grow one's knowledge of holistic medicine and work with a community dedicated to helping others.
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of the job in a typical office/workstation situation. Able to work sitting or standing at desk and operate a computer using keyboard and reading information on a monitor.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to accommodate individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in role to firstname.lastname@example.org.