Are you a people person? Can you turn a frown upside down? Are you super organized and enjoy a good challenge? Then think about joining our high energy Circulation department team and help us reach our next Million Items circulated.
Fountaindale Public Library District, which proudly serves the diverse community of Bolingbrook, Illinois, is seeking an experienced individual to perform all duties necessary to provide effective patron assistance with account setup, maintenance and general inquiries.
Monday: Close (4-9)
Tuesday: Mid-Shift (12-5)
Wednesday: Close (4-9)
Thursday: Morning (9-2)
Friday: Mid-Shift/Close (1:30-6)
Every Other Weekend
Starting Salary: $13.50 per hour. IMRF eligible
- Provides consistent, gracious and friendly service to internal and external customers.
- Understands, explains and enforces library policies and procedures while safeguarding intellectual freedom and patron privacy.
- Performs all duties of Circulation Services desks/Drive-Up window including local and consortia library card registration and renewal, checking materials in/out, patron account assistance, updates, inquiries and discrepancies.
- Handles patron financial matters with discretion; collecting fees and fines accordingly.
- Handles all incoming customer service inquiries via phone and virtually
- Answers general and account information questions and routes others as needed.
- Assists and instructs patrons in the proper usage of self-checkouts and the automated return system as well as location and retrieval of materials.
- Performs basic functions of Automated Materials Handling (AMH) system including preliminary troubleshooting.
- Locates and processes materials from daily Request to Fill list as well as materials coming from within library system; routes materials to other libraries and departments as well as prepares and shelves patron hold materials for lobby and Drive-Up pickup.
- Searches for materials reported as Missing, Lost or Claims Returned; process accordingly upon locating.
- Assists patrons in the use of public catalog.
- Prepares and submits required records, reports and statistics in keeping with the policies and procedures of the library.
- Retrieves materials from off-site book drops.
- Performs work of Circulation Services Aides as needed or assigned.
- Participates in library committees for special interests and events.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Education: Requires expertise acquired through completion of a High School diploma or GED certificate.
Experience: At least one year of customer service experience, preferably in a library setting.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Basic knowledge of productivity suites and integrated library systems.
- Ability to exercise reasonable and independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to adapt to and effectively implement change.
- Ability to effectively use a variety of tablets and similar devices.
- Communicates effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Speaking skills in other languages, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with staff and public.
- Ability to stay calm and effective in difficult situations.
- Ability to empathize and relate to the needs of all patrons.
- Ability to adapt to change.
Internal: Library staff and management
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Physical requirements include: good speaking, hearing and vision ability, ability to push carts of library materials weighing up to 100 pounds frequently, lifting materials weighing up to 50 pounds occasionally and up to 20 pounds frequently. Will require standing for prolonged periods of time.
Work is performed in a typical library business office environment. Part-time position.