Danville Public Library, located in Danville, Illinois, seeks a Community Engagement Librarian/Assistant Director to oversee the community engagement and marketing of the library. We are looking for someone with strong communication, organizational, and collaboration skills. The successful candidate must be people-oriented, customer-service-oriented and passionate about library services. This position will be instrumental in marketing library services, including through social media, will participate in collection development and programming and will act on behalf of the Library Director as needed in the Director's absence.
Danville Public Library is an active municipal library in east central Illinois, serving a population of 33,000; mix of urban and rural, county seat; operating budget of $1,841,182. The library serves 500 patrons daily and circulated 125,027 items in 2018.
The Community Engagement Librarian/Assistant Director position is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt, administrative position that directly supervises two departments and reports to the Library Director.
Residency requirement: Must live in Illinois either in Danville or within five miles of Danville city limits within 6 months of hire date.
Qualifications: Master's degree in library science required. The idea candidate will have additional training and/or experience in graphic design, marketing, and/or teen programming.
- Ability to organize, plan, and coordinate library services activities;
- keen sense of good public relations and the ability to handle the public in a fair, courteous and pleasing manner;
- ability to supervise, train and evaluate staff;
- ability to create, distribute and evaluate library marketing material and programming;
- ability to interpret library policies, objectives, services and facilities to staff, community groups, public officials and the general public;
- advanced ability in effective verbal and written expression and communication;
- demonstrated initiative;
- ability to communicate and work harmoniously and effectively with all levels of staff;
- and ability to write meaningful reports and proposals.
Must be able to lift 20-25 lbs., bend, stoop, reach, push and pull loaded book carts. Proficiency with computers, technology, and the Internet. Flexible schedule; may work week days, nights, or weekends.
View the full job description (pending board approval) at DanvillePublicLibrary.org. Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, portfolio (if available) and three professional references (all in PDF format) to Suzie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. First consideration will be given to applicants who respond on or before Friday, November 1, 2019.