- The Head Librarian has management responsibility for a department within the David D. Palmer Health Sciences Library. The Head Librarian resides at Palmer's Davenport campus and shall perform administrative, supervisory and professional work in planning and delivering Library services. In addition, this position will coordinate related services, programs, policies and resources with the branch campuses to provide consistency across the Library system.
- ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Responsible to the assigned administrator and has a support responsibility to all other departments and College personnel as necessary.
- Responsible for direct supervision of department-specific personnel and others as assigned by the appropriate administrator.
- SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage day-to-day department-specific activities as assigned.
- Manage department-specific elements of an integrated library system and/or an archival management system – monitor the system for upgrades, resolve problems, and help plan for future expansion, migration, and implementation of services.
- Identify, implement, and evaluate related virtual reference services, Web 2.0, social media, library website, online and mobile services to promote collaboration.
- Promote library services through classroom visits, outreach, and programming.
- Administer Library and College policies and procedures in compliance with institutional practices.
- Collaborate with other library departments and make recommendations related to resource allocation, budget management, long-range planning and personnel matters.
- Supervise faculty, staff, and student work study employees at the departmental level and conduct performance evaluations of faculty and staff to meet departmental needs.
- Monitor Library building security for safety, functioning, and use.
- Provide written reports as requested.
- Assist in developing and managing grant proposals to improve services and enhance the care of the collections.
- Maintain current professional and technical knowledge.
- Serve on appointed College committees, task forces and other teams for main and branch campuses.
- Perform all responsibilities in a manner that fully complies with Palmer's Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the assigned administrator.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to demonstrate professional library principles and practices.
- Ability to utilize library software packages.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to utilize general office equipment and other necessary equipment.
- Ability to analyze and resolve difficult problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, subordinates, library patrons and other employees.
- Ability to effectively supervise, train and develop assigned employees.
- Ability to calculate and analyze numerical data.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and/or various hours as job requires.
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA accredited university program or in a subject field closely related to the requirements of the position; three years of experience in professional library work, background in health sciences desired; strong supervisory or management skills required. Demonstrated interest in promoting collaboration, outreach initiatives, and use of technology to improve access.
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Perform sedentary to light work in a ventilated, lighted, and temperature controlled office setting.
- Frequent needs to stand, stoop, walk, sit, and perform other similar actions during the workday.
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 25 pounds.
- **** Applicants MUST apply online using our job board: http://www.palmer.edu/about-us/jobs/
- INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED
Palmer College of Chiropractic provides a generous array of benefits for full time employees, including:
Paid Time Off accrual per year – 10 vacation days; 12 sick days; 16 holidays
Health Benefits – Health, vision, dental insurance
403(b) Retirement – 6% of salary employer contribution after 1 year of employment, with immediate vesting and optional employee contribution
Free Chiropractic care for employees & their dependents
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
On-site recreation facility & personal training
Please apply online, this position is OPEN until filled.