Fountaindale Public Library, which proudly serves the diverse community of Bolingbrook, is looking for an energetic, creative, and customer service-oriented individual to join our dynamic Children's Services team. This individual must enjoy working with children and their caregivers and have knowledge of children's literature. Additionally, the successful candidate will be a motivated and organized self starter.
1. Provides consistent, gracious and friendly service to internal and external customers.
2. Understands and enforces District policies and procedures while safeguarding intellectual freedom and patron privacy.
3. Performs all duties at the Children's Services desk including basic reference and
reader's advisory services and computer monitoring.
4. Assists patrons and fellow staff members in the use of online catalogs, online databases, online services, Internet, software, hardware and other equipment available for public use.
5. Plans, prepares, and conducts children's programs. Participates in cross departmental
programs. Hires performers with guidance from the Children's Services Management Team, as needed.
6. Creates bibliographies, flyers, blogs and other print or online library promotional materials, under guidance of the Children's Services management team.
7. Assists in maintenance of children's collections, as assigned.
8. Helps to implement the use of technology.
9. Participates in library wide committees for special projects, strategic planning and new library initiatives. Serves as liaison for library in programming initiatives with external agencies.
10. Prepares and submits required records, purchase requests and reports in keeping with the policies and procedures of the library. Collects daily statistics and prepares monthly departmental statistical reports.
11. Keeps informed of current information and trends at the local library level. Participates in professional development activities relating to areas of responsibility.
12. Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Education: Requires expertise acquired through completion of a LA/LTA certification in an Associate's degree program or a two year degree in child development.
Experience: At least one year of related experience in a comparable business, school,
organization, or library preferred.
Office & Library;
Basic knowledge of children's literature, popular materials and reference materials in a variety of formats.
Demonstrated ability to tell, lead and interpret stories for children.
Basic knowledge of productivity suites and integrated library systems.
Basic knowledge of current technology trends, reference techniques and digital information retrieval.
Ability to incorporate technology into programming and other public services.
Ability to exercise reasonable and independent judgment and discretion.
Ability manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
Ability to analyze and synthesize data to produce new or revised processes and procedures. Ability to effectively use a variety of tablets and similar devices. Ability to adapt to change.
Communicates effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
Speaking skills in other languages, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with staff and public.
Ability to stay calm and effective in difficult situations.
Ability to empathize and relate to the needs of all patrons, especially children and their caregivers.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
Physical requirements for this position include: good speaking, hearing and vision ability, ability to push carts of library materials weighing up to 100 pounds rarely, lifting materials weighing up to 50 pounds rarely and lifting materials up to 25 pounds occasionally.
Work is performed in a typical library environment. Part-time position. May require some weekend and evening work.
Please visit the library's website at www.fountaindale.org for additional information and application. Applications can be sent directly to the library to the attention of Human Resources, 300 West Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook, IL 60440 or emailed to email@example.com .
No phone calls please. Equal Opportunity Employer