The Head of Patron Services works with library management in developing and implementing library goals and objectives, coordinating collection development, overseeing staff, participating in community relations activities, and ensuring a positive patron experience for all visitors. This position assumes agency in-charge responsibilities when required.
- Assists in evaluating services provided by Ida Public Library in relation to specified goals and standards and recommends modifications where appropriate
- Assists with coordinating patron services functions including collection development, programming, and public relations
- Supervises Adult Services staff in the performance of their duties
- Schedules library staff
- Manages volunteers
- Assumes managerial duties with other department heads in director's absence
- Attends appropriate library system and other meetings as needed
- Works at service desks and shelves as needed
- Acts as library's safety officer
- Assists with staff onboarding, training, discipline, and evaluation
- Other duties as assigned
RESPONSIBLE TO: Library Director
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience, preferably in a library setting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lead, motivate, and supervise staff in a positive way
- Ability to plan and organize projects and programs
- Ability to maintain an exemplary public service attitude at all times
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- A working knowledge of modern library policies and procedures, methods, practices and materials
- Knowledge of database and online reference sources, computer applications, and library system software required; knowledge of Sierra ILS preferred
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment while sitting at a desk or computer terminal or while standing at a counter for extended periods of time. However, some travel to a variety of locations to perform work and/or attend meetings is required. Some physical exertion may be required to lift office supplies and library materials from overhead and from the floor. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation are essential to permit the employee to read and sort library materials and supervise and evaluate the work of staff.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by personnel assigned to this position.
Candidates are subject to a background check before beginning employment.
Ida Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.