How You'll Make a Difference
The Director of Advocate Aurora Medical Library you will direct administration and operation of the Advocate Aurora Health Library Network in order to serve the integrated knowledge-based health information needs of all clinicians, team members and visitors in order to support education, scholarly activity, quality improvement, best operational practices, and the provision of excellent care. Formulates strategies for the purchase and implementation of health system knowledge-based resources and services across Advocate Aurora Health. Plans, evaluates and develops a customer-oriented library technology infrastructure that integrates with existing and planned core systems in Advocate Aurora Health. Supports the clinical practice, operations, scholarly activities, clinical research, quality improvement, and safety initiatives of clinicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other team members.
Master's Degree in Library Science.
Typically requires 7 years of experience in a hospital library or health care academic library. Includes a minimum of 3 years of management experience in managing staff and budgets.
Territory: Multi-state oversight which includes Illinois and Wisconsin
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of the budget process and the budget software.
- Demonstrated excellence in organization, planning, and the development of strategic plans.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees.
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving, conflict resolution, negotiation and diplomacy.
- Proven knowledge of current and emerging technologies in digital and web-based library services including database discovery tools, link resolvers, integrated library systems, authentication and networking solutions, Microsoft Office tools, different web browsers and site design tools, interlibrary lending systems and networks including DOCLINE and OCLC.
- Knowledge of federal copyright law as it applies to the use of library materials, photocopying and interlibrary loan.
- Knowledge of the departments of public health and facility accrediting organization regulations and Nursing Magnet status requirements.
- Knowledge of ACGME residency and fellowship accreditation requirements.
- Develops operating policies and procedures, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates professional and support staff, prepares budget within System guidelines and monitors ongoing expenditures for cost effectiveness, negotiates and administers library consortia/network agreements and memberships, establishes monitoring and assessment procedures to ensure quality control; monitors state and federal regulations and copyright law and implements changes into operations;
- Mentors and provides professional guidance to other knowledge-based resource center managers within Advocate Aurora Health and produces comprehensive narrative and statistical annual reports for the Advocate Aurora Health Library Network.
- Collaborates with key leaders in the implementation of the Library Network's strategic plan in support of Advocate Aurora's strategic initiatives and goals for each calendar year, monitors educational, clinical, operational, and research initiatives across Advocate Aurora Health to assess knowledge-based information needs. Develops overall collection development and access plan based on System needs and existing resources.
- Identifies and evaluates available electronic and print knowledge-based products and services, establishes purchasing priorities for resources and services and negotiates cost-effective purchases of selected electronic and print resources.
- Plans, evaluates, and develops a customer-oriented library technology infrastructure that integrates with existing and planned Advocate Aurora Health core systems. Positions the Library Network to capitalize on cost-effective and time saving technology, implements, customizes and maintains a server-based integrated library automation system as the foundation for the library services across the system.
- Designs resource functions and system parameters in conjunction with vendors and Health Informatics and Technology, creates user-focused smart interfaces that simplify searching, data capture, and utilization of resources to support point of care operational and clinical decision making, collaborates with Health Informatics and Technology to facilitate access to electronic resources to remote users and reviews technology trends in knowledge-based information storage and retrieval for applicability.
- Devises and implements a System-wide communication plan to promote knowledge-based resource and learning tools to all physicians and associates, administers and evaluates the Library Network's System-wide outreach plan to train clinicians and researchers on the use of knowledge-based resources and develops and customizes intranet tools to provide education for distance learners.
- Identifies opportunities to partner with programs and departments to address specific training needs and communicates with leadership about resource and service changes that affect access to knowledge-based information across Advocate Aurora Health.
- Supports the scholarly activities, clinical research, quality improvement, and safety initiatives of clinicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other team members, develops and maintains the resources and staff to support literature searching, provides training and support on the use of databases and citation management tools and implements and maintains an internet-accessible archive to promote these activities.
- Performs human resources responsibilities for staff which include interviewing and selection of new employees, promotions, staff development, performance evaluations, compensation changes, resolution of employee concerns, corrective actions, terminations, and overall employee morale.
- Develops and recommends operating and capital budgets and controls expenditures within approved budget objectives.
- Responsible for understanding and adhering to the organization's Code of Ethical Conduct and for insuring that personal actions, and the actions of employees supervised, comply with the policies, regulations and laws applicable to the organization's business.