The Bilingual Programmer works directly with the public in an effort to provide an excellent customer service experience through circulation services, literacy activities, and enriching programming. This position will assist in providing lifelong education to all patrons, while specifically focusing on our Spanish-speaking populations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Fluent in Spanish and English oral and written communication
- Experience working with children in a school, library, or similar setting
- Excellent public speaking and networking skills
- Ability to work various hours including evenings and weekends with some flexibility
- Desire to work as an effective team member
- Capability to interact with persons of all ages in a positive manner
- Comfortable with technology including, but not limited to, Microsoft products and email
- Flexible and adaptable to new experiences, concepts, and technology
- Access to reliable transportation and ability to travel to local, state, regional, and national meetings and conferences
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Public library experience
- Knowledge of library software such as Overdrive and Sierra
- Bachelor's degree
Description of Duties
- Plan, implement, and coordinate classes and events for Spanish-speaking youth and adults
- Provide reference and readers' advisory services to patrons in person, on the telephone, and via electronic media
- Work with library team to plan Summer Reading Challenge and other library-wide activities
- Assist patrons in the use of electronic products, including the website, online catalog, downloadable materials, electronic databases, and handheld devices
- Select Spanish materials for adult and juvenile collections
- Translation of promotional materials
- Participate on appropriate library committee(s) and attend workshops, meetings, and seminars as required
- Attend outreach events as required
- Complete circulation functions at adult and youth services desks
- Perform other duties as assigned
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently sit, stand, kneel, reach, and walk. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move equipment, etc., up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision and hearing abilities are required by this job.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by personnel assigned to this position.
Candidates are subject to a background check before beginning employment.
Ida Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.